Just give me strengh

Chapter 5: Just give me strength

Notes:

JR Week Prompt: Confessions

Yeppers, you wanted babies. I GIVE YOU BABIES.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

We find delight in the beauty and happiness of children that makes the heart too big for the body.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson, The Conduct of Life, 1860

* * * * *

"What's wrong, Jack?" Bunny crouched, leaning forward to better look up into Jack's eyes. "Did something happen?"

"Please don't be mad," Jack said.

"Mate, what've I got to be mad at you about? What do you need to tell me?" At Jack's hesitance, Bunny's expression became tight. "Is it that bad?"

"No!" Jack exclaimed. "It's not bad at all-it's amazing; it's wonderful; it's...!" He trailed off. It's everything, he told himself. "I just...I didn't know, okay? I didn't know, or I would have said something sooner, I swear I would have."

"Calm down." When he noted the seriousness on Jack's face Bunny placed his hands out, palm up. "I get it. You didn't know. Now what is it?"

Jack hesitated. "It's easier if I show you." Jack turned to North. "Do you have a snow globe we could use?"

North yelled out in Yettish, and a yeti scrambled off to retrieve the item. "Would you like us to come with you?"

Jack slowly shook his head. "No. There'll barely be room for Bunny and I as it is.

"Where are you taking me?" Bunny pressed his hand to Jack's shoulder.

"A cave in Burgess." Jack nibbled his lip. "It's what's inside that's important. Look, Bunny, what's in this cave...you deserve it. I'll let you be a part of it. But it's mine too."

Jack knew his words were only making Bunny more anxious, but they had to be said. He had to make him understand, before he showed him his eggs.

Bunny scanned his eyes over Jack's face as the globe was finally brought to them. North thanked the yeti and handed it to Jack. He held it up, and focused on the cave. When the whirling snow in the glass settled, it showed the cave's entrance, covered exactly how he'd left it. Jack tossed it, and it shattered open into a swirling blue portal. "Let's go."

Jack pulled ahead of Bunny, and jumped through. Bunny followed quickly behind. They came out exactly where they were meant to, just in front of the cave. Jack turned to give Bunny one final warning, when the sound of squeaky, high-pitched cries came from the cave.

"Clover!" he cried. Jack ripped aside the brambles and branches of the entrance, and rushed inside.

* * * * *

Aster followed Jack into the cave cautiously. The cries coming from the cave had made his ears shoot up, a creeping familiarity rising in him. He knew those cries, distantly, like they were something he'd heard before a long time ago but couldn't quite place.

He stepped in, and took in his surroundings. The cave was small, he had to crouch to fit in comfortably. There were the remnants of a fire about midway in, a pile of sticks and kindling set against the wall nearby. At the back of the cave was a large basket, he'd guess about six feet across. A bucket of water and towels sat in front of it, a bag leaning against one side of the basket. Jack sat in it, cooing at something Aster couldn't see. Jack picked whatever it was up, and the cries stopped.