5 Years Later...

Holland

5 Years Later...

"I'm telling you, girl... He ain't about to date me." I tell my best friend Erin. It's this fine ass dude in my art class everybody calls Kilo. He just moved here to LA from New Orleans. He's so talented and it just attracts me to him more and more. The only problem is, I'm still seventeen and he literally just turned eighteen. Yes, I know it's not a big age difference but one day, I overheard him say he'll never date a girl younger than him. We both seniors tho. The school year started a week ago so I still have time for him to change his mind.

"Why the hell not? He ain't that much older." She says, opening her locker. I shrug. "I know he won't. Fuck it." I say. "But about yo fine ass brother tho.. " She starts. I laugh. "Which one of those niggas?" I ask. She laughs. "Pause, your daddy fine as hell too. Ooowee I see where they get it from." She exclaims. I laugh. This girl is crazy. "Ok... Um, chill. My father is not sexy. But yeah, who?" I ask. "Girl, Eric. Shit, Prince and Kwame some fine ass niggas too." She says. I scrunch my nose up. Well, long story short, daddy had secret children. Prince is a junior and Kwame is a senior Zaya snapped on his ass for it. I still remember. Even tho we all met late in life, we grew really close. I couldn't ask for better bros.

"Eric ol ugly ass don't want you. And honestly, Kwame and Prince ain't the kinds you want. Prince a walking rape charge. " I say. "Girl please. They can all get it. Where Kwame pretty ass been tho?" She asks. I shrug my shoulders.

Man, my brothers are all in the streets to the absolute fullest now. The only one who bettered himself is Eric. My life is complicated. I miss my brothers. They ain't getting out of jail no time soon. They both are locked up. Jay in New York right now. Because those two fought for each other, they seperated them two so Dj is in Memphis. They don't ever accept us when we come to see them so we stopped trying. They write us sometimes but won't call. It's sad how Jaylen got fifteen years for attempted murder and trespassing. DJ got twenty for capital murder, possession of a gun, Possession of marijuana and rape. Yes, rape. The hoe lied like he forced her to do it and the judge and jury fell for it. And marijuana because he was blowin trees when twelve kicked his momma door in to pick him up. I miss those two. I wonder how they woulda turned out by now. I wonder if they'd be dead for the street life or if they'd change and turn into a highly intelligent hardworking future lawyer like Eric did. I feel my eyes watering. Nobody knows those two exist but people in our family and whoever knew him before they went in, Zaya gets emotional thinking about it, and Dad don't like for us to bring it up so it's not like I can express how I feel to anyone.

"Holland!" Erin yells in my face. "The hell you hollering for?" I snap back into reality. "You standing here ignoring me. I've been calling you for three minutes. What's wrong?" She asks. I sigh. "Nothing, just thinking about something." I say. "What's wrong?" She asks. "Nothing, I'm straight. Let's go to the library. I need to ask E something." I say. As close as we are, Erin don't even know. "Ohhh yall call Eric E?" She asks, following me. "Yes, obviously. Nobody really calls him Eric. We call him E and Ej." I say. "Ej? He a junior?" She asks. I sigh and roll my eyes. I swear I ain't in the mood for her playing dumb. Thinking about my brothers always puts me in the worse mood.

"No, his middle name is Jawan so he's called Ej. Ask him whatever it is you wanna know." I say. "Why you so mad?" She asks. "Nothing." I say, opening the door to our school library. "Oooohwee baby, he so fine." She says. I roll my eyes and walk over to E. He reading an encyclopedia. He looks up once we sit. "Sup bruh?" I ask. "Hello." He says. "Hello? Damn, E why you so uptight? You look real pussy in that bow tie." Erin says. I chuckle. "I hope you know he finna get on your ass." I say. She ain't ever met him, just seen or heard things about him. He grins then takes his polo reading glasses off and sits em on the table. He intertwines his hands and looks at her.