CHAPTER 38: Fairy Tale

CHAPTER 38: FAIRY TALE

Couldn't the world just stop and leave us alone?

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marriage… How wonderful…

I would make sure that I paint my lips pink on that special day. I would look as pretty as a fairytale princess. I would wear a beautiful wedding gown made by Yamazaki Nami-san, adorned by crystals and finished with intricately sewn embroidery. The string quartet would play a romantic love song as I walk down the aisle with a pair of Cinderella shoes, my veil touching the red carpet on the floor. My prince would be there standing near the altar, waiting for me as I take careful steps towards him with a smile on my lips and blissful tears swelling on my eyes. Then, he would reach out his warm hand to me, gazing at me with those gorgeous, dreamy eyes as if I were the equivalent of everything beautiful to behold.

And before they eyes of God, he would say – "I do."

I would say – "I do."

Wonderful, isn’t it?

We would kiss in front of all of them – my friends, his friends, my family, his family. Ah, the kiss would be so gentle and sweet. The kiss would never be forgotten by my pink lips – would never be forgotten by my heart that would continue to beat only for him. The kiss would proclaim to the world my love for Yamazaki Kosuke without fear, without guilt, without hate, without clenched fists.

But before that happens, I knew I had to do something first – and that was to give my answer.

"Yoshida Ayane, will you marry me?"

Kosuke's gaze never left mine as he patiently waited for my reply, still holding the diamond engagement ring before my eyes.

I smiled as I looked up to him in reply.

"Kosu-kun…"

"Hm?"

"Before I give you my answer," I said. "I'd like you to accompany me somewhere first."

Even amidst the foggy winter atmosphere of the city the next day, Mount Fuji stood proudly behind the skyline of Tokyo. According to the legend, which I learned from history class back in high school, this mountain arose from the plain during a single night in 286 BC. Obviously, such could have lived longer than what was told. Perhaps in 286 BC, people were already fond of making stories up to justify things that they could not explain. To this day, this still holds true – take the people who make up lies to rationalize their actions that were never righteous for example… people who don masks to hide what they truly feel, know, and do.

Human beings are naturally born liars, for lying is part of one's defense mechanism.

Sigh. I think I'm over-analyzing again.

I blame it to this two hour trip en route to the Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park. As Kosuke and I descended from his black car, he persistently questioned me as to why I suddenly asked him to take me to this place.

"Ah, so you want to have a date on an icy mountain all of a sudden?" Kosuke began another teasing episode as he fixed the scarf around my neck.

I merely replied with a chuckle as I pulled out a basket of lilies from the car's trunk. I wore my thick winter coat next, and Kosuke did the same.