Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

"Wendy..." a soft voice whispered from the dark.

Stirring in her bed, Wendy recognized the familiar voice immediately. Her heart began to race.

"Pete?" she asked, sitting up. She felt a little weak, but tried not to let it show.

"Hi," Pete smiled shyly. He was sitting on her bed, just inches away from her. "I hope you don't mind me visiting so soon. I know that we just saw each other this afternoon."

Shaking her head emphatically, she answered, "I don't mind, Pete. I was hoping you would come back."

Wendy's eyes adjusted to the warm glow of the night light in her room. Or was the glow coming from Pete? It was so hard to tell! Her tired gaze settled on his hypnotic smile. It was possibly the nicest smile she had ever seen, and she vaguely wondered how she hadn't noticed it before.

"Do you wanna have some fun?" he asked in a playful manner.

"Well, I don't know. What did you have in mind?" Wendy asked, trying not to sound too excited. Meeting Pete was one of the most thrilling things that had happened to her in a long while and she was anxious to do whatever he wanted. But she was stubborn, and didn't want to let him see how eager she felt.

"I was wondering if you'd like to see where I live?"

Where he lives? Wendy asked herself. She had never thought of him living anywhere before.

"Where do you live, Pete?" she asked, suddenly very curious.

"I live in The Neverlands, and it's the most amazing place in all of the universe!" he explained, excitement highlighting his voice.

"Is it far?'' Wendy asked.

"Not at all, as a matter of fact. *It's just past the second star to the right and straight on 'til morning."

"What?!" she laughed, unable to contain her disbelief.

"Will you come with me?" he asked, holding out his hand.

"How...will we get there?" Wendy asked, realizing he was serious.

"We're going to fly, of course! We'll use the stars to guide our way."

Reaching for Pete's outstretched hand, she stood up from the bed and walked with him toward the window. Wendy was excited that they were going to fly again, but unsure as to where Pete was planning on taking her.

"Pete," she hesitated, "I'm not so sure about this..."

"It's okay, Wendy, everything will be fine. Do you trust me?"

There was that question again. Yes, she trusted him. She wasn't sure why, but she trusted him with her life.

"Are we really flying to the stars?" she asked cautiously.

Pete laughed, "I'm sorry. That was a little complicated," he grinned. "It's easy, really. All you have to do is think of a wonderful thought."

"A wonderful thought? Like presents on Christmas morning?" Wendy asked, feeling herself giggle with anticipation.

"Like presents on Christmas morning! Or maybe mermaids in a lagoon, underneath a magic moon! When there's a smile in your heart, you can achieve anything!"

Wendy gripped Pete's hand tighter as they walked to the open window. The cool night air gently moved her lace curtains, and she inhaled deeply, excited to see where their adventure would take them.

When they jumped from the window, Wendy let out a small cry of joy. It felt like her stomach had flown away, just like when she rode the roller coasters at the amusement park. How scary and exhilarating and dangerous and free! She had felt so many emotions at the same time she swore her heart would burst from the excitement of it all.