One Wish

"This isn't fair! Mom! You said that I could have a puppy not Michael!" I was trying to control myself but a whining tone crept into my voice.

"Well..."

"My life sucks!" I interrupted her. "I wish that I could just run away and forget you and our dysfunctional family! I hate you, Mom! I told you three years ago that I wanted a puppy! You had to go and give my puppy to Michael. Ugh!"

"But, honey," Mom stuttered.

"You don't love me. I hate the puppy, and most of all I hate Michael. He gets everything! I'm not the perfect child at school, good grades, popular; teacher's pet. Cheating on a test doesn't warrant you giving my dog to Michael." After my rant, I stomped off to my room fuming and wishing unspeakable ill upon them.

"Of course Michael gets everything just 'cause he's the perfect child," I muttered along with a few choice curses. Why wouldn't he be? Mom always loved him best. I stalked into my room and slammed the door. I threw myself onto my bed. As I lay there, with a whirlwind of thoughts going round and round in my head, one thought became clear. I had to run away from this if only for a little while. I had to run away to make them see who I really was, who I am. I guess they already knew what I felt, but I don't think they knew that I would go through with my intentions. They think that I'm not strong enough, but I'll show them. I'll show them once and for all. Tomorrow I'll slip out my window and go hide in the old ruins of "Chateau-Gaillard". It was only a twenty minute walk, and I could always creep back into the house at night to get food. I only had to suffer one more day with my mother and my brother. With my plan finalized I fell into a dreamless sleep.

"Are you coming down for dinner?" my mother's muffled voice held hints of regret and still a bit of anger but she called me down just the same.

"Yes," I answered clomping down the stairs.

"Okay," was her only reply. I think that she was disappointed that I hadn't said more. Oh well. I really didn't give a rat's behind about them. The only reason I was coming down was because I really needed to eat to keep my strength up for tonight. My bag of extra clothing was under my bed and I had food hidden in my backpack. I had oiled my window so that it wouldn't squeak when I snuck out. Everything was perfect. My mom didn't know, nor did my brother. Now I only had to suffer through supper with them. Pasting a fake smile onto my face I walked in and sat myself at the table. The meal went on in silence, Mom and Michael making small talk while I shoveled in helping after helping. I ate 'till I almost threw up, but I don't think anybody seemed suspicious, namely my mom. When supper was done I pushed my chair away from the table with a screeching sound. I helped to clear the table and put the food away. When that was done I complained of having a stomach ache. My mother's only comment was, "No wonder, with all of the food you packed back." I escaped from there as fast as I could. All I had to do was wait 'till everyone was asleep before making my move.

The hour came. It was almost midnight when I left. Gently I opened my window and crawled out, careful not to make any noise. I was out! I took a deep breath, inhaling the fresh night air reveling in the feeling of finally making my own choices, finally being able to do something without my mother harking at me. Focusing back on the task I started on the twenty minute walk to "Chateau-Gaillard."

Parting the curtain of weeping willows the ruins of "Chateau-Gaillard", home of Richard the Lion-Heart, revealed itself. The castle stood proud in all its derelict glory.

"Wow," I breathed out amazed that it was still standing after all this time. I wonder what it was like when people were still living in it. The castle stood proud in all its derelict glory.

Walking through the crumbling entranceway I imagined it in all its splendour; Ladies in ball gowns whirling around in circles to some long forgotten dance, while Lords tipped their hats and asked for dances here and there.