26th

That morning he had known everything that was going to happen to him as he walked through the familiar fields. But now, as the sun began to set, he was in a different country, a stranger in a strange land, where he couldn't even speak the language. He was no longer a shepherd, and he had nothing, not even the money to return and start everything over.
All this happened between sunrise and sunset, the boy thought. He was feeling sorry for himself, and lamenting the fact that his life could have changed so suddenly and drastically.
He was so ashamed that he wanted to cry. He had never wept in front of his own sheep. But the marketplace was empty, and he was far from home, so he wept. He wept because God was unfair, and because this was the way God repaid those who believed in their dreams.
When I had my sheep, I was happy, and I made those around me happy. People saw me coming and welcomed me, he thought. But now I am sad and alone. I'm going to become bitter and distrustful of people because one person betrayed me. I'm going to hate those who have found their treasure because I never found mine. And I am going to hold on to what little I have, because I'm too insignificant to conquer the world.
~Santiago after the man steels from him

Note: this is one of my favorite part of the novel. After reading this it made me realize that what Santiago was feeling at the moment was true form of depression so many of us feel. Lonely and scared with no one to give a comforting pat. Even though it exactly isn't how we feel but yet it hits so close to it. Confused, shocked, ashamed, angry on his fate, angry on himself and then finally feeling of worthlessness. May all of us get through our hard times just like Santiago did.