Chapter Two

***************************Dimitri's POV*******************************

Having searched for years to find her, my perfect fit, trekking the globe, looking high and low for the girl assigned as my destiny by the moon gods, I could only watch in horror as she ran away from me before I even had the chance to hold her in my arms. Horror seized my mind as the elevator door shut, blocking my view of her. Anger soon overtook, however, as I realised it wasn't just panic clouding my mind that had left me unable to react fast enough to chase her.

"Where is she?" I roared, pulling away from the buffoons holding me back, their hands gripping onto my biceps forcefully. I soon broke out of their hold and rammed my fists into the cement wall leaving a massively bludgeoned hole.

"If you calm down, I'll take you to see her" Abe spoke soothingly, having returned from safely depositing Hayley at the opposite end of the corridor with another nurse, taking her out of harm's way.

"No, now!" I shouted, my wolf making it an Alpha's Order. The two assigned bodyguards automatically bowed and showed their necks in fear of my radiating power but, for some reason, Abe managed to stay standing tall.

"If I take you to see her now, you'll only end up causing more damage to her" he argued, trying to reason with me.

"What? I'm her soul mate, the only one she's supposed to be with, how could I ever hurt her?" I contended, confused and angered by his accusations.

"Trust me on this, I'll explain everything once you've got your wolf under control" Abe advised, slowly taking his phone out of his pocket to type something in.

I took a deep sigh and tried to calm myself down, inhaling deep, steady breaths, in and out, in and out. Strangely, my command didn't work on Abe (a phenomenon in itself) but I figured I'd ask questions later seeing as I had bigger fish to fry, such as making sure my mate was safe.

As I finished reigning in my wolf, I gave an affirmative nod to the group, assuring them I had some if not all restraint. Gesturing to the door with the sign 'Staff Base' written on it, I strode in, taking a seat on the edge of a dusty brown leather sofa. My guards sat either side of me, wary not to brush against my shoulders as Abe pulled up a plastic chair a few feet away from me.

"Your mate's name is Coby. She's a patient here at the hospital." he breathed carefully, thoughtful as to his word choice,"I've only known her for two months but she's ina very delicate condition and has spent the last 4 years here from what I know. The coloured band on her wrist tells me that she's highly medicated which is probably why you've never been able to pick up on her scent before."

"What's wrong with her? Is she ill? I can fix her. I'll get the best medical experts and treatment available." I promised, my mind frantically rushing through all the possibilities. I couldn't let her die on me, there was no way on Earth I could watch that happen.

"She is very ill but it's not in the physical sense you might think of." he asserted, a look of caution on his face as he glanced at the men either side of me.

"What?" I asked, confused by his words.

"Coby has a long history of mental health problem,"he started, "I only know a little of which she's mentioned to me and what some of the other staff have passed on but it's very complicated and can be severe at times. She suffers from social anxiety, depression and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, being submitted at age 13 with childhood schizophrenia."

I gave him perturbed look, unsure as to the meaning of these conditions.

"Obsessive Compulsive Disorder means that she is constantly plagued with extreme fears and irrational anxieties. Coby's part in it is that she is germaphobe, completely obsessed with washing her hands over and over again and needs to have everything symmetrical or in order.' Abe trys to explain patiently, "That includes her actions - for instance, if she accidentally hits something, she will have to keep hitting it until she gets to a 'clean' even number of hits. It could be anything from a 10 up to a 1000 if the compulsion takes her and if something stops her from repeating the exact action again that set amount of times, irrational panic or fear of something bad happening will set in until she does."

I leant forward head in my hands. This made things a little bit more complicated.

"One last, very important thing,"Abe started. What could possibly be worse than being unable to touch your own mate, I thought, overcome with trepidation. "Coby has in the past attempted to take her own life on numerous occasions."

"What? You don't mean, like, suicide?" I demanded, not really wanting to know the answer.

He gave an affirmative nod and I felt painful sensation in my chest, an overwhelming bearing of guilt at not being here when she needed me the most, the gut wrenching thought of her having nearly succeeded in one of these attempts, the terrifying idea she might try again.

I had the means and ability to buy her the whole world but she'd be too afraid to touch any of it. I spent years building a global empire so I could spoil and protect her at every cost but it had all gone to waste. The one thing I hadn't accounted for was the that the person she might need protecting from was herself.