Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Light. Who knew I'd be so happy to see it. Ben was fast asleep on the left side of my bed, holding my hand, and resting his warmth on it. There were green curtains around us and a hanging bulb above me. There was a mask on my face, covering my mouth and nose. Tubes were stuck to my wrists and a giant tank was beside me. It was a chilly space but I could hear people talking, whispering and some crying.

I forcely took off the mask on me, then I saw Jenna push the tight curtains, and enter my space. "Nice cubicle you got here." she said sarcastically,"Well sometimes you get nice things on your birthday." I said sarcastically back. "We were all worried, you were half burnt." Jenna changed the subject and looked at me with concern. I was wondering what she meant of 'burnt' when I didn't feel anything. Then I tried moving closer to her, and discovered I couldn't. "Your back." she shredded a tear.

My back was grilled. I sobbed as I moved once again, the shades of burning blood and black ashes crumbled on the bed. I screamed out, praying that this was all a dream. Jenna pushed me down, and said I should rest. I rebelled back, still hoping that everything was just a dream. Then finally it was too much. I laid back on the sheets with the scars and marks on my back, crying a flood that scattered my pale face.

Ben woke up to my wails, though he was deaf, then left me immediately. I looked at him leaving, then Jenna started to walk out too. "Wait." I whispered,"Ben, is just taking this harder. He's taking it harder than any of us." Jenna told me,"Then why is he leaving me?" I asked,"He's not leaving you, he's trying to save you." she left me after that last line. What did she mean?

2 months later

I could see Jack through the windows, approaching the door. He opened it and I was suprised by finding everyone from the orphanage, smiling at me. The new orphange was much bigger than the bombed one. It felt more comforting, but I would love to stand on the sight of the old building, just to say goodbye to old times. They gathered around me, down the concrete. The car that have brought me here, drove away, but the nice driver I met said goodbye to me first.

I was only able to see a side of Jack then he turned, and I saw his right arm was gone. The cast was off, though when we were in the clinic, it was fully wrapped. His short sleeves covered it though, the clean plate of skin that was left.

The children grabbed my suitcases and helped me get up the stairs. I was thrilled to be back! To see the sisters, the children, Jack and Jenna. Also, I was waiting to see Ben. After two months part, we were finally going back to our lives. Now I appreciate it more.

I ran on the new floors and I felt free. I stopped as I saw a name on one of the doors. 'O12 - O13' it said, my number and Ben's. We still were sharing rooms, just like always. I twisted the knob, opening the door wide. Instead of seeing him, I opened to see Jenna.

"Jenna! I'm so happy to see you again! Now I can move!" I cheerfully told her, she dropped the brush she was holding and walked up to me, then hugged me tightly. "Where's Ben?" I questioned her. She let goes of me and said he wasn't here. I asked why the door said 'O12 - O13'. She stared at me. "Terra. Ben's been adopted." I was shocked,"Since when?" I just asked,"The last time you saw him, two months ago. The bombing caught a lot of people's attention, and apparently some families decided to adopt some kids. Ben found a family. That afternoon was his last afternoon of being an orphan." Jenna said to me.

"Oh. Well I can always visit right?" I insisted,"He lives in Caspur." Jenna saw the disappointment in my eyes. Caspur is the capital, where we both came from, where our mothers died, and where The Jukery calls their home. Since his family is in Caspur, my best friend is a Juke.

He's gone.