Chapter Three- Companions

Today is the day I get out of Solitary Confinement.

Thank you, God.

I'm laying on my cot, the cotton rough beneath my bare arms, when I hear the soft click of the lock outside the hidden door. It's pushed open to reveal two male nurses. I'm assuming they're here to escort me to Dr. Frederickson. I keep my position on my bed, but offer them the sweetest smile I can summon.

"Hello, boys. Here to take me away?" I like to flirt with the nurses. It's the only form of entertainment I have, really.

The tallest one rolls his eyes. "Get up, Gerard. Dr. Frederickson would like to see you now." The two nurses stride into the room and each grab one of my arms, trying to hoist me up.

"Woah, woah! Cool it there, guys. I can get up myself." I spit as I struggle out of their firm grip and get on my feet. I dust off my arms and then stare at the nurse in front of me. He must've taken this as a signal that I was waiting to be taken because the tall one reached to grab one of my arms, but I pulled it out of his reach. "Look," I breath in through my nose, "Joe, I'm not going to try and escape. And if I do, I'm sure shorty here will be able to catch me, isn't that right sweetie?" I say, taking a step towards the other nurse and smiling down at him. He blushes a little bit, but I can tell its nothing. I know this nurse. He's straight. I just think it's amusing to get him all worked up over nothing.

"Quit your smooth talking and just go!" Joe orders from behind us.

I roll my eyes and huff. "I'm just having a little fun with..." I lift the shorter man's chin up and inhale his scent. "Patrick." I smile sweetly.

Patrick bats my hand away. "Just go!" he spits, harshly.

"Fine..." I sigh before trudging down the hall towards Dr. Frederickson's office. His office is actually quite nice. Wood panelled walls and a hardwood floor covered with a fancy rug his daughter got for him while she was stationed in India. I sit down in the elegant leather chair placed in front of his desk and look at him expectantly.

Maurice Frederickson is a tall man with very little hair on his cherry red head. His name is pronounced like MAR-ISS. Like it rhymes with bar kiss. Americans pronounce it as MORE-ESE but that's wrong. He's told me it's pronounced like this in Ireland, where his family is from. He was born in North Carolina.

"Hello Gerard." He greets me.

"Dr. Frederickson." I reply with a slight nod.

He rolls his chair forward slightly and folds his hands, resting them on a stack of manilla folders. "I hope you've learned your lesson."

I scoff and relax my posture a little. "Well I would hope so as well! I've been locked in a room by myself for fourteen days!" I exclaim.

He shakes his head and moves his gaze to his folded hands. "You had to be punished, Gerard. I'm not going to allow you to run amuck and wreak havoc. You endangered the life of a patient."

I roll my eyes and smirk menacingly. "It wouldn't have been the first time, now would it?"

"Gerard!" He snaps threateningly.

I sink down into my seat and stare up at him with innocent eyes. They probably weren't that innocent judging on what I've done in the past., but a guy can try. "Sorry..." I mumble.

He sighs, closes his eyes, and pinches the bridge of his nose with his thumb and forefinger. He does this quite often when I'm around. People tell me that it helps to do this if you have a headache. Do I cause Dr. Frederickson that many headaches? Wow.