Chapter Sixty Three: Heart of Darkness

At the boarding house, Elena walks down the stairs and into the basement with a bag in her hand. She approaches the door to the cell and peers in. "Alaric?"

He sits on the cot in the cell. "Yep. Still me." He answers. Elena unlocks the door and walks in. "You know, you shouldn't be in here. It defeats the point of the whole being locked in a cellar thing."

She drops the bag in front of him. "Well, you still need the basics. Toothbrush, clothes, some boring books to help you sleep."

Alaric picks up one of the books. "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?"

Elena's brow furrows and she takes the book from him. "What? No, I grabbed... Damon." She sighs and rolls her eyes. "Thinks he's hilarious."

"At least one of us still has a sense of humor."

"Are you sure that you...? I mean you don't have to be kept in here."

"Ah, no, this is...this is the right place for me to be. At least until you guys can convince my highly uncooperative alter ego to fess up to where I or he hid the white oak stake."

"We looked everywhere. You...the other you, hid it well."

"What's Klaus gonna do if you can't find it?"

"It's the only thing that will kill him, so wage war, murder people, you know Klaus stuff." She pulls up a chair and sits down. "Listen, Stefan is gonna watch over you for a little while. Now that Klaus knows where Jeremy is, it's not safe so, Damon and I are gonna go to Denver to pick him up."

Alaric looks at her. "Why do you say that like you're waiting for me to disapprove?"

"I don't know. Me and Damon. Traveling across the country."

"I guess I'm more curious to hear what Stefan has to say about it."

"Actually, it was his idea. He thinks that I have some unresolved feelings for Damon."

"Do you?"

"I guess that's why I'm going on this trip. So I can figure it out."

Upstairs, Stefan stands in front of the fireplace, staring into the flames.

Damon comes downstairs, luggage in his hands. "You hear from Klaus?"

"Not yet. I'm sure I will soon though." He picks up the white oak stake. "He's expecting me to deliver two stakes, I only have one."

"Well, that's gonna be disappointing for him."

"I'll get it out of Alaric. I just need some time."

"I like that confidence, Stefan. I don't share it, but I like it."

"You don't think I can do what it takes."

"Well, you're good Stefan again. You're in control. Sorry, you might get the girl but you lose the edge. Speaking of..." He trails off as Elena walks into the room. "Have you ever flown first class?"

Elena looks at him. "Who did you have to compel for that?"

"Pft, please. I use miles." Damon picks up the luggage and walks out the door.

Elena looks at Stefan. "Stefan..."

"Be safe." He tells her.

Elena stares at him for a moment before leaving as well.

Trinity helps out with setting up the decade dance. She walks over to Rebekah. "Why am I here again?"

"Because you've spent your time cooped up in either your house or your tunnel. You need something to take your mind off of it. This seemed like a good distraction." She tells her.