Ch.4 The Apprentice Time Is Here!

SnowKit was dragging loads of soft fresh moss to the elders' sleeping area. It was much, much, harder than it looked. She stopped to take a breath. "Hurry up!" Snapped One- Ear. "Don't mind her, shes a bit grumpy today." Whispered Sandkit. SnowKit sighed, then continued dragging the moss.

Later on, they had free time. SnowKit was hunting. She crouched down low om her belly, and prowled to her prey. Suddenly she pounced, but her claws were sheathed. So were her prey's. They rolled and scuffed in the dirt, having a great time.

Months passed, and soon enough SnowKit was ready to become an apprentice. She was supremely and extraordinarily excited. Dustkit, Sandkit, Graykit, and Ravenkit as well as herself were all going to be apprenticed at the same ceremony that evening. They spent time in their den licking and sharing tongues with each other until their coats all shone beautifully. SnowKit was giving her coat extra good treatment when she heard Bluestar yowl, "All cats old enough to catch their own prey gather outside immediately!" Giving their coats final licks, the four kits bounded excitedly outside. They crowded around the boulder where speeches and ceremonies were held. "We are here this evening for the apprenticeship ceremony of four kits. Graykit, please come up." Proclaimed Bluestar. Looking nervous but excited, Graykit stepped up to the platform. "LionHeart, you will be Grawpaw 's mentor. Use all of your loyalty and skills to teach him the ways of a true warrior." Said Bluestar as the two cats touched noses respectfully. The crowd of cats started to chant."Graypaw! Graypaw! Graypaw! " Graypaw gallantly stepped down from the platform. The same thing happened for Ravenkit (RavenPaw), Dustkit (Dustpaw), and Sandkit (SandPaw) . Their mentors were TigerClaw, RedTail, and Whitestorm. Finally, it was SnowKit 's turn. She stepped up to the platform as Bluestar called her name. "Willowpelt, you shall be SnowPaw's mentor. Teach her well using your knowledge and skills." Willowpelt stepped up, and the two cats touched noses. As SnowPaw stepped off the platform, she was greeted by the group chanting once again. "SnowPaw! SnowPaw! SnowPaw! " SnowPaw was extremely pleased. She was an apprentice! She had taken another step in becoming a true warrior of ThunderClan and erasing her past. As the 5 new apprentices headed back to the nursery, GrayPaw stopped suddenly, causing the other four to topple over in a heap. "What was that for? " grumbled Dustpaw. "Sorry, " replied Graypaw, looking unabashed. "But aren't we supposed to go to the apprentice den? With an excited shriek, both she - cats turned and ran toward the apprentice den. Rolling their eyes, the three toms followed. As they reached the empty den, (seeing as there were no other apprentices besides the five) they stood in the doorway and looked around in awe. There were lots of space compared to the nursery, and there was fresh, fluffy moss on the floor. Each cat chose a separate place to sleep, the toms sleeping together in a ball and the she-cats doing the same on the other side. SnowPaw woke up the next morning, and gently prodded the other cats up. She couldn't help but notice how attractive Graypaw was when he was sleeping. "Whassgoinon?" Meowed RavenPaw irritatedly. "Fine, I'll leave you sleeping next time." Teased SnowPaw. "You'd get in trouble with TigerClaw for sure!" RavenPaw bounced up immediately. SnowPaw rolled her eyes and went outside to the pile of freshkill. "Share a pigeon?" Offered Graypaw. "Sure." SnowPaw accepted, ignoring the smug look on SandPaw 's feminine little kittyface. They had a pigeon, which was almost as good as the mouse, (but not quite) and split up for their first day of training. "Good luck!" Called SnowPaw to all the other apprentices. She found Willowpelt, who was just finishing the last of a mouse. "Come with me, " instructed Willowpelt. "Today I'll be showing you how to hunt prey. You might even catch a mouse or two!" She added with a wink. SandPaw's whiskers quivered with excitement. She followed Willowpelt to a sample solitary area. "Take a deep breath, and tell me what you smell." Instructed Willowpelt.'' SnowKit opened her mouth and inhaled slowly. She smelled Twolegs, a dog, and fresh mouse. She repeated what she smelled to Willowpelt, who nodded approvingly. "Is the dog and human scent fresh?" "No, they seem kind of old. But I think a Twoleg took his Labrador Retriever for a walk here the day before yesterday." SnowPaw deduced. "Excellent! I can tell that you will make an excellent tracker someday." Willowpelt told her. SnowKit glowed from the praise. They continued on, Willowpelt teaching her a simple stalking technique. By the time they got back, SnowKit had caught a mice and Willowpelt had three mice and a pigeon.

SnowPaw ate her mouse contentedly with SandPaw. They were later instructed to go to bed early because of some extra tough training sessions the next day. Curling up with SandPaw, she slowly drifted off into a deep sleep.