Making it up as we go (42)

Albert Wesker, Jr. did not recognize the voice on the phone that called him. But clearly this person knew him and knew how to get in touch with him.

"I have something for you from your Father."

Wesker was silent. He did not know Malcom Derges personally, although he knew he had his hands in the Organization. He had spent a lot of time reading the files his Father left him, and Derges was listed among his associates as loyal. Wesker had never chased him down after his father died. It risked exposure, look at what had happened to Jake Muller, Wesker's natural son? 

He himself would have ended up with the same fate. Better to wait in the shadows and strike when it was too late.

"I'm listening," he sat up in his chair, tense, waiting.

"This is about Project Resurrection." Derges went on. "I assume by now you've found the bread crumbs your father left you?" 

Ah, so this was the mysterious Project Resurrection. Wesker listened with more interest. It was mentioned in a few files in passing. Mostly labeled "precursor to Project:R." Most of those were clone projects, both the mistakes and the successes, speeding up the time it took to make a clone, how human it turned out after the process was complete.

They'd been successful with him after all.

He put his own "Project: Immortality" to the side, sliding the file down next to his seat. This was a gift from his father. It was bound to be as grand as Wesker had been in real life. 

After all Jake and Sherry could wait. He could always find them when he needed to. 

_________________________________________________________________________________

"We'll have you lie low for a while then." Leon said to Jake. They were still at Chris's house. Leon and Jake were on the front porch each enjoying a cup of coffee. The neighborhood still resembled World War 3 and news crews were everywhere surveying the damage. A B.O.W. attack was the new normal though. No longer a government secret.

Jake scratched the back of his head with his right hand. "What about the job with the DSO?" His Estonian accent came on rather heavily this morning. Leon lifted an eyebrow when he heard it. Jake spent a lot of time blending in, other times he was too tired to fake an american accent. Today was one of those days.

"It's yours, if you want it." Leon stared. "I'm going to need help ferreting out the leak." 

"I can do that." 

"When you and Sherry get back to HQ, we'll get things rolling ASAP."

"About that..." Jake looked embarrassed as he hesitated. "Super girl here is going to need some vacation days," he started.

"I don't see how that's going to be a problem-" Leon started.

"About 9 months worth." Jake finished at the same time, looking at him pointedly. He returned to staring out across the ruined landscape.

Leon was stunned. "How long?" He said simply. He didn't know what else to say.

"Weeks," Sherry mumbled. She had come up behind them. She raised an eyebrow at Jake. He shrugged and muttered, "It's Leon."

"Then how do you know?" Leon ignored the exchange between them staring at Sherry this time.

"Wesker, ran a blood test on me," Sherry offered. "Leon, please don't be mad, I know it's the worst th--"

"I'm not mad, just bewildered." He interrupted her, staring at the two of them. Jake had taken an arm and placed in around Sherry's shoulders protectively. He'd been that way with her ever since Leon had met them. She looked so tiny next to him. What was it Claire had said? Stop thinking of her as the little girl you rescued in Raccoon City.

He'd watched Jake cover her several times in China, even after knowing she was self-healing.

"Didn't want the whole world to know about her," he'd told Leon privately later.

Jake hadn't left her. If anything he'd probably smother her with protection until she boxed his ears. Leon began to smile.

"Congrats," he said. Sherry looked relieved, Jake exhaled a breath he didn't know he was holding.

"Speaking of congrats," said Jake, "I hear there is a brunette waiting on a coffee date?"

Leon looked down at his watch. He was late.

"Women," he muttered. He glanced at the two of them. "I hope you know what you're doing." He turned away not waiting for the answer. Jake wanted to work with the DSO. That was fine, that was the initial goal wasn't it? But Leon's doubts about the leak in the DSO were taking their own toll on him. He wasn't sure who to trust back at HQ. 

Sherry and Jake watched him walk away. They were in no hurry, technically they were still dead. Although it was only a matter of time before Wesker came after them again. Hiding in plain sight seemed to be the better option. If there was an option. 

Jake leaned over and whispered in Sherry's ear. "He knows we're kind of making this up as we go, right?"

*This is the end of this book but no the story! Look for the next one in "Project:Resurrection" as soon as I get it edited!* ~Red_Leasia