chapter 5 victoria

author's note; i mean hopfully the few people who are reading those don't hate me because i took sooooo long to update *cough-cough @eryka_the_epic* anyway im sorry, stay in school, and don't do drugs. Without thinking, I tore out of the building after Will. “Hey, Will! Wait-” I caught him by the arm, and spun him around. His eyes softened. “Victoria. What do you want?” he asked quietly.

“You don’t honestly believe what they’re saying, do you? I mean, the townspeople will pay you, and the mayor will too, right? Once he’s sober, but…” I stammered.

“No. he won’t. Even when he’s sober, he won’t pay. He will never be fair. Know this, Victoria. You’ve seen the way they all treat your mother, haven’t you? Well, have your mother know that she’s a great person and that she deserves better employers. You be careful around the councilors too. Goodnight.” He said curtly. And he walked away.

***

They didn’t pay.

I biked to the south wall of the church and dislodged the loose brick. I felt inside the cool cave.

It was empty.

            I dug in my pocket, and drew out a few bills and counted them. 10 £. I set the money I had gently into the empty space. I looked sadly down the near empty hole and biked back home.

“They didn’t pay Will!” I said upon stumbling back inside the kitchen.

My mother sighed. “I had a feeling that they wouldn’t. They should have. Will was a good person.”

“Oh and, mom, Will said…” I tasted the words that were about to fall off my tongue and reconsidered. “Actually, never mind. I’ll tell you tomorrow.” I climbed the steps to my attic bedroom and slept.