Chapter I

"Milan!"

I looked over towards the large hill that separated the city from the plains. I gasped quietly as I saw it in ruins. Flags of the elements were ripped, burnt, heavily frosted, and torn to pieces. The Head Building was destroyed and one floor was already in ashes.Thick gray smoke clouded in the sky as glowing heat came from over the neighborhood. I buried my face into my leather jacket as I ran towards the city. Then I heard it again---my name. It was hard to identify it but I managed to run.

Soon, I was engulfed by a giant bubble of water, which didn't help since the scorching wildfire was growing larger and spreading farther.

"Milan! Milan help me!

Then I recognized it. Mother. I pushed the bubble forward but it began to demolish, only having me tumble down the hill. Bodies were everywhere, some were pitch-black burnt, others were already ashes. I managed to leak a few tears but my lungs felt as if they were going to burst. But then I found it. Serenity. I felt my lungs refill themselves with clean oxygen and my breathing slowly return back to normal.

My eyes became sharper and I scavenged around the remaining clean places for Mother. She had to be here, using the keen senses, I could smell her. But faintly. 

Beyond the plains, I saw a silhouette. It was slump and seemed non-living. It's hair was scorched and it's eyes were disfigured. However, it's lips were the only I could remember from heart. It was Elijah.

"It's okay, It's okay." A smooth voice whispered.

I peeled my eyes hoping and quickly sat upright. My chest was heaving up and down and I could feel small drops of sweat on my neck and arms.

Today was the day. The day that will tell me who I am.

"Annie, come here. " I said in a quiet tone.

My six year old sister waddled over to my bed with a scared expression on her face. She looked as terrified as me.

"It was just a nightmare, no worries."

It didn't sound convincing at all but it was enough for her to small those pearly white teeth.

"Oh goodie, you're awake."

I looked at Denise, my guardian, standing at the door frame with two boxes labeled KREANIEM. Annie quickly ran to Denise and tried to pry the cardboard box from her strong hands. I giggled lightly at her attempts.

"Good morning Denise."

"Good morning back to you, dear." She replied, unpacking items from boxes.

I smiled lightly, studying Denise's movements. She wasn't exactly a young guardian, but she moved swiftly. Her short brown hair was pulled into a bun at the nape of her neck and wrinkles around her hazel eyes.

"Okay, here are you clothes. Now go bathe."

I always did what Denise told me to without hesitation because of what she does for me. I nodded a 'yes ma'am' then scurried to the tub in the bathroom. It was a little dirty from my pitiful cleaning skills but I managed to clean.

Once I finished, I dried off and fled back to my room. On my bed was a beautiful dress that would remind you of Southern Bell. It was baby blue with white accents to it. It stopped a little below my knee and swished side to side when I moved. Then to go along with it were white, cream colored flats with short white socks.

Then I resumed to my hair. It was soft and black and stopped in the middle of my back. But to me it was a mess. I only got to clean it every other week. It becomes dirty again every time I wash it. I rummaged through the box until I found a white floral hair pin with a bow attached to it. When I was younger my mother taught me how to twist my hair into the center of my hair. As good luck, I copied the hairstyle.