Chapter 3

I held my backpack tight as I made my way to school never looking up even when I heard my name. I just ignored everyone around me as I stormed inside to the office, I have to get my schedule and I’m already running late. Once inside the air deprived office I’m handed my paper and asked if I’m okay. Everyone knows who I am because of my father, and at this moment I wish nobody knew me. I lied my way saying that I was coming down cold and the obese later behind the desk with her glasses sliding down her nose just nod and I left.

I didn’t get too far before I crashed into someone, a sudden spark lit and I lifted my head. standing in front of me is this guy I’ve never seen before. He has a slight dark tan to his skin making it look golden brown, his hair pitch black looked like he got out of bed and ran his hands through them, in a weird way it worked. His eyes were a chocolate brown and a shadow of scruff kissed his cheeks and chin. But it wasn’t his looks that stopped me in my tracks it was that spark that I felt and the weird aura that seems to mask his body. I closed my eyes hoping that when I open them it would be gone but it wasn’t. A silver light covered him from head to toe with mixes of blue and red. I glanced around to see if someone else had it but they didn’t, without an apology to him I turned around and walked away.

shaking my head I kept repeating:

“You’re okay Adara, it’s nothing. It’ nothing.”

I stopped around the corner leaning my head against the coolness of the locker until someone grabbed my arm.

“Boo.” I voice yelled scaring me half to death making me jump and drop my backpack. It was Destiny, my friend with her hand over her mouth trying to cover her smile. Glad she thinks this is funny, “I’m so sorry Adara.” she said bending down to retrieve my backpack still with a smile on her lips.

“Don’t worry about it.” I tell her brushing off the sudden heart attack.

“Why are you so jumpy?” She asked as we started to walk. I notice that she didn’t have an aura like that boy earlier.

“It’s nothing.”

She hummed under her breath, “I know why you’re jumpy?” she stated making me freeze.

I look down, “y-you do?”

I love Destiny as though she was my own sister but I can’t trust her with what happened earlier, she would turn me in. She grabbed my shoulder making me look at her, blue to green, my heart going a million beats a second. “You’re scared about coming back to school, just like everybody else.”

“oh,” was all I said and I couldn’t control myself when I started to laugh. I mean loud, gut wrenching laughs. She thought that was my reason for being like this, she has no freaking clue. None, shes clueless just like everybody else.

“Hey, crazy lady laughing?” She didn’t understand.

I took a deep breath, “I’m sorry...you’re right. I guess it’s all the BioSwap problems going on.” I held my stomach to stop the laugh pain in my ribs now.

We started to walk again, “well we don’t have to worry about that, not with what happened earlier.”

Any laughter still inside was now long gone, “what happened earlier?” I held my backpack strap making my knuckles turn white.

She bumped my shoulder, “would you lighten up Adara...nothing to crazy except that Charles took down a BioSwap.” She said with such pride and here I’m feeling sick to my stomach because I saw it go down.

“W-Who was it?” I dare ask.

“Some guy, I don’t know and I don’t care but Charles can protect me any day.” I looked at her and she was in dreamy land until she looked at me, “I mean, not like that.”