I'm Rover It...

I could hear them, they were at it again, arguing.

I stood outside the backdoor in the laneway, holding my breath, listening for my chance. All four legs itching to take off...Last time they spotted me and I had got a right royal kicking, but this time I was determined to make off with something.

I couldn't understand what they were saying, earlier the boys had been shouting but now they were calm again -

"For God's sake Charlie, can you cut it up into smaller chunks? I'll never get it through the sausage machine like that!"

"OK, OK.  You put the bones through the grinder - did you burn off all the hair?"

"Yeah, it's fine, did you add the herbs and the extra garlic?"

"Of course I did!"

Mmmmm....the smell....I loved hanging outside the butchers shop.  I had been there late at night as the truck dropped off it's bags and as the break of dawn now approached they were still going.

The voices stopped and the sound of footsteps receeded.  Here was my chance!

I darted through the door, I could see blood on the floor, I stopped for a lick - mmm...salty.  There was no one about - My eyes raked the room like a big cat looking for prey.  I lifted myself up onto my back legs and put my paws up on the wooden table.  I sniffed the air again.

Over there! On the other side of the table.  I darted around the other side and stood up again. 

The voices were coming back, my paws slipped on the slippery top and I dropped to the floor.

Quickly this time I jumped up on my back paws, turned my head to one side and snatched the flesh off the table top.

Footsteps...closer in the hallway now.....voices.

'Did you see Max's face when I told him about Matilda and the giant cransky!!" 

Chuckles breaking into laughter.

I darted back out the door, my paws scraping for traction on the floor.

Laughter stopped.  Voices started - serious this time.

"Was there . . . "

"On that bench. . . "

Then the two voices in unison "Naah".

More laughter.

I darted down the street with my prize, determined to make it home before the sun had risen over the rooftops.  The dawn was still red and hazy, the traffic light and I darted through bushes, across roads and footpaths until I was 1 block from home.

I stopped for a short knaw, stretching tendons and crushing bone with my back teeth, frustrated by a band of metal around one of the bits on the end.

A car rounded the corner, it's headlights swept over me.  I jumped up and bounded off.  I wonder if I left it at the back door whether master would cook it up for me?

I sauntered up the driveway, looking left and right, my feet light on the ground with swagger.

I had another lick, chew and crunch before I deposited my nights hunting at the back door.  Yeah - it would taste even better after the flies had been on it for a few hours.  I settled down in the kennel, exhausted by the nights activity.

*                                        *                                        *

Junior was the first voice I heard in the morning

"Dad - Fred's been up the butcher's shop again!"

"What's he got this time?  DAMMIT FRED - What's that?  Looks like. . . Oh my God. . . LILY!"

"Yes honey. . . what's that mongrel done now?"

"Lily - he's brought home a HUMAN HAND - Call the cops!!"