14: Just A Dream?

That night I slept in the master bedroom (in other words, the one room with a door), and Mr. Elliot, er, Daniel, slept in the small room with bunkbeds.

I couldn’t help thinking about him. What if he still has feelings for that girl he mentioned? I mean he moved all the way out here, in the middle of nowhere, just to see her. And what does it matter to me? I rolled over and sighed. I don’t think I’m gonna be able to sleep like this.

I was pulled from my thoughts by the sound of shrieking. Like, shrill, girly shrieking. This was followed by loud, thudding footsteps, and then the door creaked open as I sat up slowly.

A shaky whisper came from the crack in the door "Jesse?"

"Yes?" I said in a raspy voice and turned on the lamp.

Daniel's head popped out, his face pale and terrified. "There are bats in my room." There was a long pause. "Could I sleep with you?"

I stared at him blankly for a moment. Really? How is a grown man this freaking adorable? I snorted a bit, scooting over and patting the space on the bed next to me. “Come on in.”

“Thanks,” he whispered, tucking himself under the covers,and let out a deep breath. For a while he just laid there, composing himself. Then he just stared at me. I could feel my face turning red as I became more self-conscious under his gaze. He turned on his side to face me. “You know, this is better anyway,” he smiled, his face glowing under the light of the lamp. “We get to spend more time together like this. It’s like a sleepover.”

I smirked. “Because the last time we had a ‘sleepover’ it went sooo well,” I whispered back, rolling my eyes. “You know you’re a teacher, and I’m your student, right?”

“Of course. And the first lesson I plan on teaching you is how to have fun, Jesse David.” His eyes were fixed on me, and I wanted to look away, but then I also didn’t. “You’re really something, you know that?”

Oh god, if you keep saying stuff like that, I’m going to get the wrong idea!

I immediately turned my face away to hide my panicked expression. I snorted. “You’re really something, too. Now get some sleep,” I said, scooting to the edge of the bed and turning out the light.

“Good night, Jesse.”

My heart felt like it was going to explode. I swallowed hard. “Night...” There goes any hope of getting sleep tonight…

*****

“Hey, Jesse, are you awake?”

…. No response.

As I sat in the dark, staring at Jesse’s back, I realized sleeping in the same bed… was a bad idea. Fuck, I’m horny. When did I start to feel this way about another guy? I think I really like Jesse. And laying in bed, just a foot away from the person I like, how could I not want to do something? If I just reached out, I could touch him… I swallowed hard. But I couldn’t betray his trust like that.

I smirked and leaned in next to his ear. "I like you, Jesse David. I really, really like you..."

I laid back down on my side of the bed and closed my eyes, deciding to resign myself to sleep. Then I heard Jesse rolling over. Suddenly he was up against my chest and had his arms and legs wrapped around me. My whole body went rigid (including a certain very sensitive body part).

“J-Jesse?”

I waited for some kind of response, but I could only hear Jesse’s gentle breathing. The kid likes to cuddle in his sleep? You’ve got to be shitting me.