The Rejection: 9

The Rejection - 9
______________________

               - Hope -

When I entered the kitchen, it was as if no one had noticed, which was most definitely not what I was expecting. I was expecting silence, awkward stares, or at least some demanding voices wanting to know why they were never told Jason and I were mates, but there was none of that, and I couldn't have been happier about that.

               I let out a small sigh of relief and walked to the coffee maker to pour myself a cup. After putting enough sugar in the dark, hot liquid to give an army cholesterol problems, I turned back around to face everyone while sipping the drink. I stopped mid-sip, however; they were all staring at me with smiles on their faces. Oh, that really isn't weird at all. I rolled my eyes.

               "Take a picture. It'll last longer," I said coldly, sipping on my drink. Mornings weren't my favorite time of the day, as you could tell.

               "Well, I'd like to have a picture of your fine ass," Trey teased, his voice playful. I smirked, looking at Jason from the corner of my eye. I tried my hardest not to laugh; if looks could kill, Trey would be a dead man walking.

               Jason tried to calm himself, but it didn't seem to working out all too well. He stood from his seat at the table and began walking to the refrigerator, smacking Trey upside the head as he passed. I had to quickly swallow the burning coffee so I could laugh along with everyone else.

               "What the hell was that for?!" Trey shouted, rubbing a spot on his head soothingly. It didn't seem like Jason had hit him that hard, but maybe I was wrong. I stole a glance at my mate from the corner of my eye; he was staring at Trey with a small frown.

               I started to panic. I know Jason and I had agreed to tell everyone about us being mates today, but I had freaked out last minute and told him I wasn't ready to do that just yet. By the looks of it, though, we just might have to, and that frightened me greatly, to say the least.

               Jason's blue eyes darted to me for a spit second before landing back on Trey. It was such a quick movement, I'm most positive that Trey didn't catch on to it, seeing as he hadn't brought it up.

               "I just..." Jason hesitated for the slightest of moments. "I don't like to hear that kind of shit. Come on, we'll be late for school."

               Trey gave him a deadpan look, but rolled his eyes at the irrational Alpha. I let out a breath of relief and emptiest the rest of my coffee mug and set the cup into the sink. The only people let in the house now were Trey and Devon. I smiled at the two of them a bit awkwardly, and Devon made a gesture for me to go first. I chuckled and left with the two hot on my trail. We all stepped out of the house and onto the drive, the boys already going to their designated vehicles.

               That's when I realized, I didn't know who I was supposed to ride with.

               "Hope!"

               I turned to my left from where my name had been called, already knowing who the deep voice belonged to.

               My sights landed up Jason, who was leaning against the driver's side of his black Ford Mustang. He gestured for me to come to him, and I hesitantly made my way to him. There was a bright, infectious smile lighting his face, and it made me give a small smile of my own. As I got closer to him, he twirled his ring of keys around his index finger.