Caleb Stanford

"We're paying for your education but what the hell are you doing?!" Caleb's mom exclaims. 

"Please calm down, we're in public," he whispers back to his mother. 

Caleb Stanford and his mother, Olivia, are both standing in front of his school. The other students are oblivious to the fact that he is being scolded by his mom in public. And for what? For getting an 'Average' mark in AP English. 

Olivia yanks at her hair furiously. "Your father and I are giving you one last chance. If you fail to make it, we're transferring you to another school." She storms off, roughly pushing aside students blocking her way. 

Suddenly, someone lets out a loud guffaw behind Caleb. He looks behind him and see Trevor and his group, holding up their phones and laughing at him

"Poor mama's boy got scolded again?" Trevor teases him. 

Caleb looks helplessly around him. Obviously, the other students don't give a single damn about him. They have their own lives to care about. 

"Ok, what do you want?" Caleb asks Trevor. 

"Here's the deal," Trevor walks up arrogantly to him, until their faces are inches from each other. "Finish my English project, and I wouldn't have your video posted on sites." 

Trevor Peterson. Without Caleb's 'help', he wouldn't be taking up AP English. 

"Ok, I'll do it," Caleb replies in a weak voice. 

He slowly makes his way through the thick crowd entering their school, trying to block out the harsh words that Trevor's group keeps aiming at him every few seconds. 

"Yeah douchebag," one shouts. 

"Suck it, sissy!" another one tells him. 

Some of the older students try to stop the group, but they can't really do much about it. You can't stop a group of popular people having the 'time of their lives' unless you're brave enough to put up a fight with them. 

                                                                 ____________________

The bell for first period has stopped ringing and everyone in Mr. Panner's AP English class is preparing for the presentation of their project. They were tasked to write a 10 page essay dealing with Shakespearean Literature during the week end. Caleb worked hard for his essay, and even exceeded 2 pages. But well...

he's giving up his essay. 

For the sake of his reputation. 

Caleb goes to the back of the classroom and hands Trevor his essay. "Let's just switch essays," he says in a low voice. 

Trevor smirks at him. "Alright then." He inconspicuously hands Caleb a 5 page essay. "The best I can do, but you can add some more, if you'd like to."

Caleb clenches his jaw and tries his best not to shout at him. No matter how much of a jerk Trevor is, he can't be angry at him. If he does, it would mean the end of his social life. 

There's not much time. How the hell can he write 5 more pages?

"Fine." He grabs the paper from him and stomps back to his seat, hearing Trevor cackle behind him. 

And well, you already know who got a higher grade

                                                                     ____________________

"Stanford, a word please," Mr. Panner tells Caleb, right after everyone got out of the classroom. Caleb nervously approaches his teacher. Am I going to get kicked out of this class? he asks himself. 

"How are you doing?" 

"I'm fine, I guess," Caleb replies. 

Mr. Panner leans back on his chair and rubs his hands together. "Look, we all know that you're a bright kid with a lot of potential but seriously, what's happening with you? Your grades are...they're rapidly deteriorating. And that essay you handed me? I'm telling you boy, that's not how you write. I know your writing style." 

If only Mr. Panner knew...

Caleb bites the inside of his cheek until he can taste that distinct tase of warm, metallic blood. "Sir," he says slowly, "I'm very sorry for what's happening. But, I can assure you that I'm doing my best to make it up to you and the other teachers. I'm trying, sir. I guess I need some more time..." 

"Son, we've already given you lots of chances to make things right but I don't really think it's working anymore. I'm afraid I have to discuss this matter with your other teach–"

"No sir," Caleb pleads, "I would do anything just to retain my Honors placement. Please umm...give me one week."

Mr. Panner hesitates for a moment. "Alright, one week it is."

"Thank you sir." Caleb bows repeatedly at him. "Thank you so much!" 

The teacher smiles at him sadly. He really feels that something is wrong with this boy. And it's not just his school life. Maybe something deeper. 

But he can't quite put a finger on it. 

As Caleb turns to leave, Mr. Panner speaks up again. "Stanford, do you need to talk about anything?" 

Caleb gives a small smile and a shake of the head. "No sir. I have to go now or I'll be late for my next class." 

                                                                     ____________________

Caleb is busy fixing his things in the locker when someone suddenly pulls him by the shoulder. He turns around and sees Gemma Phelps, a girl in his AP Spanish class, glaring at him. "You should've told on him already!" she hisses. 

"I beg your pardon?" 

"Trevor, you dummy! Stop pretending like his bullying doesn't bother you!" 

"Excuse me," Caleb slams his locker shut, "but my life is no cliche drama about a boy who beats his bully. It's not always that easy." 

"You're being weak!" Gemma shouts. 

"Well you're being narrow-minded and inconsiderate!" he retorts. 

That caught her off guard. "W-wait," she stutters. 

"I'm going," he tells her. "Goodbye."