Prologue

The water molecules caressed his skin, like the touch of a lover after many nights apart. His arms cutting through the liquid and meeting no resistance, propelling him forward towards the other end of the pool. How long he had been at it, he didn't know. He didn't really care much, either. He loved the way the water felt around him, the way the chlorine burned familiarly in his nose. It was like a second home.

When Liam reached the other end, he tapped the wall with his hand before planting his feet solidly and making a swift transition into a back stroke. He took deep breaths, regulating his oxygen usage for optimum performance. Stamina was key. He needed the fastest time and he couldn't waste a second on breathing. As Liam sensed the finish line that he had set for himself grow closer, he increased his speed. He hoped to cut down his time by a sizeable amount. Unfortunately, the other end was closer than he had anticipated, and the brown haired boy smacked right into it head first.

Although he was not seriously physically injured, save for a swelling bump on the back of his head, Liam's ego was severely battered. Why did I do that? He thought to himself as he climbed out of the water, thankful that no one was there to see him fail. It was a rookie mistake… 

The empty locker room provided solace for Liam as he showered, his mind filled with self-deprecating thoughts. I could have done better, I could have been faster, swam harder, I should have been better. Angered, he punched the tile wall. He retracted his arm shortly after impact, shaking the frozen appendage and praying to whatever higher power out there that he had not broken it. He watched in awe as the blood blossomed on his knuckles, mixing with the water and swirling down the drain.