CHAPTER SEVEN: DRIFTERS (5/5)

The men were of average height but not short on muscle. The one on the left was wearing a colour changing vest while the one on the right had gone for a bandana. In true Yunk style, they both had mullets.

It was the one in the vest who had spoken, so it was him Kas looked dead in the eyes when she spoke.

'Don't waste your time, I'm not wearing.'

When neither of the men said anything, Kas felt her senses sharpen and reflexes tingle. When the mullet in the vest spoke again, Kas could tell his voice was only a shadow of its sober form; deep and splintered like he'd been chewing gravel.

'We ain't dealers, bay-bay.'

Kas stayed perfectly still. She had known when she left Dante's that the chances she'd run into trouble would be high and wondered if maybe that's why she went for a walk in the first place.

I guess I could use a little release...

'We like your jacket,' the other mullet chimed in. His voice was half an octave higher than his pal's, but just as fractured. 'Looks old. Where'd you get it?'

'I stole it.'

The mullets' grins split below bloodshot eyes. 'Why don't you take it off and drop it on the ground?'

'I've got a better idea. Why don't you two girls go back into your hole before I smash your dumb Yunk heads together?'

The mullets barely reacted, except to let their smiles drop ever-so-slightly. There was a slight tremor in their hands. Kas figured their artifibre was feeding more stimulants into their systems.

Not long now...

The bandana chuckled, the nerves in his cheeks twitching like wasps trapped under a sheet. 'Sure thing chicken wing...' he said. 'Let's see what you've got...'

The mullets started towards her in unison. They closed the gap in seconds, forking away from each other to flank Kas from either side. Kas didn't move but kept them in her peripherals. She saw their shoulders hunch as their fists rose up into a crude street boxing stance.

Come on stim-heads, just try me...

They did exactly as she expected, both lunging in with wide pincer arms, one going high, the other low as if that would cover all routes of escape. Kas simply dropped her weight and let it take her backwards, falling into a controlled roll away from the attack. Her speed was such that she'd rolled over her shoulder and back onto her feet by the time the mullets had realised they were grasping at dust-filled air. They turned on Kas and she saw angry confusion light up their eyes.

They charged at her again, their arms swinging wildly. This time Kas met them head-on. The stimulants in their system might be fuelling their rage, giving them power and speed, but it came at the cost of their coordination. The punches were fast but off target and Kas deflected them with ease.

When the timing was right she pushed the bandana backwards into his friend, sending both of them stumbling over their feet. It was only a warning push, but that should let them know she wasn't easy pickings.

'No need to fight,' Kas said, though she didn't really mean it. She was in the mood now. She stepped backwards and was pleased to see the two stim-heads step towards her. The bandana came at her with a front kick while the vest pulled off to the side. Attacking together wasn't working, they realised, so maybe one-on-one would be better.

It wasn't.

Kas saw the kick coming like it was a ship drifting into shore, bringing one booted foot up high and swinging it down like an axe, hacking at the bandana's shin with an almighty crack. He howled and dropped to the floor, clutching at his leg where the boot had split bone.

Kas planted her brutal right foot back on solid ground just as the vest began his approach. Kas immediately knew him to be the smarter one because he came in slower, his body turned sideways to make him a smaller target while his arms covered his body in an effective guard. Kas adopted a similar stance, though she kept her guard down. She wanted him to attack first.

'You want to join your friend there?' she taunted.

'You talk too much,' the vest replied. He raised a foot and made as if to kick, trying to draw Kas into a sloppy counter, but she didn't take the bait. He tried the same move twice more before finally deciding he'd had enough and charging at Kas with a roar. His arms fired off a chain of punches at such speed that Kas only managed to block the first three before changing tactics. When the fourth came in high, she ducked under it and drove the point of her elbow into his chest. It hit him hard in the centre and knocked him back two steps, but Kas wasn't done with him yet. She swung her right leg around and dropped to the floor so that the momentum swept her kick under his knees. He toppled over and crashed onto his tailbone with a sickening thud. Kas saw his throat swell with bile. She straightened up and stood over him, ready to deliver a finishing kick to his head if he tried to get up, but he stayed down, channelling his pain into a soft groan that seeped from his lips like smoke.

'I'm gonna kill you,' the other bandana said from a few feet away. He was clutching his badly broken leg like it might fall off.

'You're shaking,' Kas replied. 'You still want my jacket?'

'I'm gonna kill you,' he repeated, though now absent of any conviction. Kas held his gaze until he looked back at his leg and grimaced at the sight. He moaned through clenched teeth.

Kas stuffed her hands into her pockets and suddenly felt a lot better about herself. She was about to start back towards the street when a bright spotlight pinned her in place. It was coming from a vehicle parked on the road, though the harsh light made it difficult to see clearly. An amplified voice filled the air.

'You, with the hair-do. This is the YKPD. Calmly put your hands in the air and drop to your knees. If you attempt to run, we will immobilise you.'

Kas stared at the light and sneered. She slowly raised her hands above her head and lowered herself to her knees.

I really hate Yun-Ko...