Flashback 2- Christmas Hayden's Junior Year

Christmas break was nearly here. For two full weeks, Hayden and Morgan had a break free of school. But it also meant colleges were off, meaning some people would return home for nearly a month. Hayden knew nothing of Jordan coming home for the holidays as she only texted him once since he left. But Morgan knew the moment Jordan got home. He had called Morgan asking if he knew any shifts that needed filling as some extra money wouldn’t hurt. Morgan only knew of one free shift off the top of his head: Hayden’s morning shift. Her partner quit that shift after two short weeks and no one ever bothered to replace her. Morgan couldn’t risk Jordan getting that shift with Hayden, so he lied and said he couldn’t think up of one. Wednesday morning before school let out, Hayden would be shocked to see who would already be there.

Hayden casually dug through her purse hunting for the pool keys, before noticing the door was already unlocked and open. She opened the door and walked in wondering who had partnered with her this shift. Seeing no one around the pool or in the lifeguard stand, she walked into the office before stopping in her tracks. Jordan Michaels was sitting at the desk, facing her, a smile placed on his lips.

Jordan got up and hugged Hayden tightly. “Hayden, I missed you. It feels like forever since I’ve been here.” He let her go.

“Yea?” Hayden wondered quietly.

“Yep.” He stated popping the ‘p’. “So you got my old shift, huh?” He asked

Hayden nodded her head still shocked to see him here. Finally she came to her senses. “What brings you back?” She asked casually doing the morning checkups on the pool.

“Well the semester is over and I became a little homesick.” He answered.

“Yea? Well how was it, college I mean?” Hayden asked.

“It was pretty boring, I studied most of the time. It’s really a lot of work.” He replied. “But I missed my best friend.” He complained pulling Hayden into yet another hug.  

Soon their first patron entered the building and they had to station up, Hayden actually lifeguarding, Jordan doing the rounds. After two hours of patrons coming, swimming, then leaving, Hayden and Jordan locked up the pool and began to leave.

“So before I go, we need to hang out; yea?” He asked.

“Most definitely.” Hayden replied happily. She let go all the awkwardness and began seeing him as what she thought he always will be, a close friend. “Usual place?” She asked him leaning up against the hood of his car.

“Of course, I’ll pick you up at eight on Friday?” He asked. The week went by, nothing interesting happened at school. Unless you count finishing up the cross country page on the yearbook with Morgan and seeing Jordan in his old favourite English teacher’s room.

Soon it was Friday, everyone was happy because of two weeks without school. For Hayden it meant, going to work, and then going home to change and for Jordan to pick her up at eight. For Morgan it meant worrying about Hayden, he didn’t like the idea of Jordan strutting back into town and breaking Hayden’s heart again just after he fixed it.

Finally, eight o’clock rolled around. Hayden was dressed in her casual dark skinny jeans with her swim hoodie. In her mind, it’s just hanging out with Jordan again, nothing special. As soon as he pulled up, Hayden walked over to his car and hopped in the passenger seat, throwing her tiny handbag on the floorboard of his untidy car.

“Sorry about the mess.” Jordan apologized.

“Don’t worry about it. I’ve seen your car messier.” She giggled remembering the time she sprayed silly string all over his car; inside and out.