Chapter 2-Remembering

I had to stay in this very odd place for about two weeks. Naks said I lost my memory. It would take a while to get everything back. Those two weeks, Michael and my father stayed with me at the hospital trying to make me remember everything. They told me many stories and everything that happened in my past. I was starting to remember, but I didn’t understand why sometimes there would be cameras in my hospital room and then I’d appear on the newspapers.

“Just about two months and a half left then you get to go back.” Michael kept telling me every day. He was counting down to when I leave again. He said he’d miss me. “I’ll be back.” I kept telling him, but I didn’t even know why he kept telling me that anyway.

“Harry, I don’t think you will in a long time...The last time you left for the Games, it felt like forever. I don’t want to lose you ever again.”

“What Games?” He showed me a pin with a Mockingjay on it and then pinned it to my clothes.

I didn’t like how I had both lost my memory and broke my leg, but I had no choice, but to try to remember everything, else I’d be a problem for me when I go back to the Games, whatever Michael meant by that.

In those two weeks, all I remembered was how my mother had died and pretty much all my good childhood memories. I wished the memories from the past year would come back to me, but Naks said it will take a while.

Today, I was finally allowed to go home again. They gave me crutches and said to get a lot of rest.   Michael was wearing his polo with a grey cardigan he also had a red backpack, when he came to pick me up. My father was waiting for me outside. When I got out of my bed, Michael gave me a huge hug. I knew that he had missed me a lot, because he wouldn’t let go and he had a big smile on his face.

We got home to find a lot of cameras surrounding my house.

“Let’s go somewhere else please, I’m not ready for this and I look horrible.”

“No, you don’t, you’re just a bit sick.”

They brought me to what they said was our old home.

"It’s so peaceful, I love it.” I said, once we arrived. A girl was standing outside and she came to give me a hug. “I don’t know if you remember, I heard what happened, anyway I’m your best friend, well at least was before you left for the Games.”

“Come in boys!” I heard my dad say from the kitchen door.

“Coming dad” Michael and I said, running towards our house.

When I got in my kitchen, I saw a big banner that said “Welcome Home Harry” and on the table there was a small cake.

“All this, just for me?”

“Yes son, we’ve missed you a lot, we thought we’d have a warm welcome home party for you.”   “Where’s mom? Why is it only us three?” I asked, looking around at the pictures of my mother all around me, in the picture frames.Michael ran out of the room.

 “Don’t bring that up right now, it’s not a good idea.” Said my father, calling Michael to come back in the kitchen.   He came back and left his backpack on the chair. His big smile was no longer there. His eyes were teary but he was trying not to cry.

“Come here Mich.” I said, giving him a comforting hug. “It’s okay. I promise.”

He went over to the chair and opened his bag, took a little box out.   “This is for you.” I heard his little voice, and he wiped his eyes.

I opened the little box and saw the same Mockingjay pin I was wearing, except I noticed it was on a watch and it’d disappear too.

“Woah, who gave this to you Mike?”

“Simon told me to give it to you, but you can’t tell anybody about it. There’s only five and it cost so much to make this. Anyway, I don’t know anymore about this but I know he said it’s very special.”   “Secret’s safe with me. But who’s Simon? Who’s got the other four then?”

“Simon Cowell, he was at the Games. He’s the one that said you, Liam, Louis, Zayn and Niall would be a band because of your talents. Don’t you remember him?”

“Louis…? That name sounds familiar…But I don’t know about the others, who are they again Mike? Tell me, I want to know.”

My dad was around in the kitchen and was preparing the last minute meals, etc…He looked over, “Louis’ the one you always talked about after you came back from the Games. You said he’s your best friend.”

Michael ran away and came back with an envelope in his hands. “Here, read it.”

It was a letter from Louis Tomlinson. “Oh, no wonder his name sounded so familiar. I remember him. I love him; he reminded me a lot of you Michael.”

“Don’t worry Haz, you’ll see him soon. You’ll see the other boys too. Simon called yesterday and asked how you were doing. He might have to postpone the Quarter Quell…because of what happened.”   I was a bit confused, I took a cookie from the table, “Quarter Quell, what is it?”

“Harry, it happens every 25 years. It’s the anniversary of the districts’ defeats and you will get to be a mentor also…I mean first you have the Victors’ Tour then you will have the Games again.”

“Oh, when will Simon call again? I can talk to him, I mean I want to.”

“Alright, for now let’s just enjoy the cake, we’ll tell you more about the Games and everything. When you’re ready, we can go home.”

“This is home dad, it’s just that our new house is where we spend most of the time, but this will always be home for us, it’s where we held most of our memories.” Said Michael, looking worried.

“Alright, thanks.”  

We sat around the table, enjoying some homemade chocolate cake, cookies and milk and they both started talking about the Games, trying to make me remember. I sat there not being able to believe that all this have happened in such small amount of time. I was shocked, but it felt like all the memories were coming back to me.