Complications

Office of the Ambassador of the Sovereign Tribes, Legislation Hall, Republican City

United Republic of Provinces, Nasai, White Moon 3303 - September

“Do you mean she’s there? With you?” Rebecca asked through the VisionComm screen mounted to the rear wall in Sekel’s office. 

“Well, not with me at the moment, but yes, here in the Republic. Hijaz walked her over to the sleephouse nearby,” Sekel answered. “She looked as though she hadn’t slept in a while and said that she’d run out of coins. I’m pretty sure that she walked to Republic City from the Complex.”

Rebecca’s eyes widened in alarm.

“She appeared to be fine,” Sekel reassured his cousin.  “There’s a bruise on her face, looks like it was from a blow of some kind, but she didn’t volunteer anything.”

“My goodness! Thanks be to the Creator that she is ok, and thank you for contacting me, Kel; and for keeping her safe,” Rebecca responded emotionally. “Maryam and Sarai will be glad to know that we’ve found her.”

“Is she related to Qasim al Akhad, from the Wards?” Sekel asked, more than curious about the girl, especially after the jolt she’d given him.

“Yes, she’s his niece,” Rebecca responded and waved someone from beyond the scope of the VisionComm away with her hand.

“Niece? Then that would make her Amere Al Akhad’s daughter,” Sekel replied, confused.  “But Amere’s daughter died in the strikes.”

Rebecca remained silent and held Sekel’s gaze for several moments, waiting for him to come to the right conclusion. Sekel stared back and thought for a moment: she did look very much like Amere: caramel colored skin, the same blue eyes, black eyebrows and lashes indicating the same black hair must be under the hat she’d worn.  High cheek bones . . .

“She didn’t die during the strikes?” Sekel questioned.

Rebecca shook her head no.

“Explain yourself,” he demanded, leaning back into his chair and crossing his arms over his chest

“Maryam and Sarai have been caring for her since Amere and Naiya’s deaths. Amere and Naiya assigned guardianship to Maryam and Uncle Nakar the year before the strikes, they apparently feared for their lives and did not trust that Safiya or her brother would be safe with them gone. The children have been in hiding since right after the attacks and a few years ago, when Maryam realized that Safiya was an empath, she contacted me and told me all about it. I’ve been sworn to secrecy by the Order and can only tell you this now because the edict has been lifted. Safiya has nearly mastered the healing arts, Kel. Her gifts are quite extraordinary. She had nearly completed her schooling at the Academy when she decided to stop coming to classes at the beginning of Orange Moon. She ran away from the convent two weeks ago and we’ve been looking for her ever since; she is one of the most gifted students that I have seen to date,” Rebecca enumerated.

Sekel was stunned. He’d only been 16 summers when Amere and Naiya had disappeared but he remembered them well, as well as the tragic circumstances of their deaths.  His family had truly mourned their passing and Sekel fondly remembered nights spent drinking tea around the tables at Amere’s café.  Amere had also possessed gifts, Sekel remembered, and wondered if the jolt he’d felt from Safiya’s hand could have been from some kind of power.  Rebecca began speaking into his silence.

“The brother survived as well. Amir.  But only a very few people know that the two of them are alive.  Mikal says that Amir is in U’mtek with Uncle Nakar. Safiya has mastered Amharic already and she might have the Sight,” Rebecca stated excitedly. “Kel, I’ve seen the sacred mark upon her, on the back of her neck, and I’ve had a spirit dream about her. The signs are all there. I believe she may be Al Sahifah.”