Chapter 3

Updated 04/10/19. 

Chapter 3

Mark ended the call, and Ollie looked down to him with a brow raised. He must have called Max to let him know about the storm. She subconsciously rubbed her bruised leg, frowning at the discomfort. It's better to be careful next time. She slipped on a sweatshirt and pulled up her hair to combat the wind, taking over the steering wheel.

They raised the anchor once they had a clear heading up the canal, and Mark was attentive to the passing channels. They had to be getting close.

"Are we there yet?" She whined out as a joke, but took a second glance at her dad when he didn't respond. "Dad?" She called to him, and he blinked, coming out of his thoughts. Offering her a warm smile, he rubbed the back of his neck anxiously.

"What were you saying?"  He wasn't paying attention.

"Oh, it was nothing important." Ollie shrugged, watching her dad curiously. What was distracting him? 

"I'll take the wheel. I know where we are going from here." She stepped aside, letting him take over.  "Do you see the smaller opening to the right? Just up ahead. That's where we're heading." He continued, turning at the opening.

Olive looked on, pulling her sweatshirt closer. The rain had subsided but the night was cold. Distracting herself, she looked out at the water. It was dark and murky, but her eyes danced against the lights she saw flickering from the houses. It really was a pretty sight. She couldn't remember a time that they had sailed so late in the day, and it must have been close to eleven at night. Up ahead she noticed two houses. One had been made out of dark brick, and the other was a light wood - almost white. It stood out against the night sky, and it looked like that would be their final destination. She stood as her dad slowed, and they turned off the engine. Ollie had taken to the ropes, ready to tie up for the night.

"It gets pretty shallow, so it'll be a little tight!" A voice yelled over the water, and looking up Olive took note of the man from the deck.  

He was tall, towering at the end of the dock.  He waved kindly to Ollie and her dad.   Even with the cold and the wind he didn't seem fazed.  Had he been waiting out there for them?

"Max." Dad greeted, nodding a hello.

"Mark, it's been too long." The man smiled, watching as they docked.  He directed his attention towards Olive. "Need any help?"

"I think I've got it, but thank you!" She called out, getting ready to jump from the boat.  "By now I'm a pro!" She added.

"Now that's the spirit, Ms. Ollie!-" Max cheered her on, before her dad quickly interrupted.

"Olive, get your lines ready." Her dad chided quickly, and she detected the shift in his voice. He was on edge. Without questioning him she nodded, ready to jump.

"Is everything alright?" Max asked, a casual smile still on his face. Ollie figured he could sense her Dad's mood change too. No response. Without time to get an answer she jumped to the dock, tying up their sailboat. All the while, her dad was silent, remaining on the boat. A moment passed, and she looked back to their host.

"Well," Max cleared his throat, "it's a pleasure to meet finally meet you."

********************

Max's home was immaculate, almost as if it were a model home that no one actually lived in. Was that a phone she noticed hanging on the wall? She couldn't say the last time she had seen a land line.  Max gave them the tour,  making sure to show them the guest bedrooms and the restroom.  Perhaps he lived alone?  Ollie didn't see any pictures in the halls, nothing to indicate he had a family. Not a single personal touch. Gathering a bag of toiletries she made her way back to the bathroom, listening to her dad and Max chat about the storm.