02| Fragile

The morning sunshine peaked through the window, warm on her face, yet harsh on her eyes.

Leila stretched her arms out wide and yawned. It felt good to sleep in, especially after the mishap last night. Thank God it was Saturday.

After minutes of contemplating if she should get out of bed, the girl finally pushed the covers off her body.

She stood up and made her way downstairs, ears perking up as she heard the television already turned on.

"Dad?" She called, trotting down the last few steps and entering the foyer. "Why aren't you asleep?" Her father, Doctor Letcher, was a busy and intelligent man. He usually worked in the emergency room at Queens Medical Center. He was one of the best surgeons in the state, which called for great responsibility, and a great absence from his daughter's life.

So that's why she was surprised to see him awake so early.

Her farther was sitting at the breakfast counter, glasses on and newspaper in hand. He had a full cup of coffee placed a few inches away, and Lelia knew that had to be his third or fourth round.

He looked up and smiled. "Good morning sweetheart." His voice rang in that familiar New York accent that so many people tried to mimic. It made her smile. He had grown up here his whole life, unlike her. She didn't sound like a New Yorker, but she had inherited his features.

Like his warm hazel eyes. Even after years of aging, they were as distinct as ever. He used to have silky brown hair, but now that full head of hair was almost grey. It made him look wise. People close to him would know it was true. He was full of life and joy, despite the fact that the love of his life had died 5 years ago.

She loved him dearly. He was her only close family left, being an only child. They moved to Queens when she was 13, right after her mother died. It was a huge and painful adjustment. Her mother was her life, the one who took care of her while her father was away at work. Lelia missed her every single day.

And she was more than grateful to have her father by her side through all of it. He was a good man, and he loved her mother. Even though he was gone a lot, he did his best. He was there for her when she needed him.

Now that she was 18, Lelia understood the importance of his job and why he was called to do it. He saved lives on the daily, basically resurrected people who should have died.

But deep down inside, she knew it was because he felt guilt and shame. He wasn't able to save his wife from stage four brain cancer. Now, Thomas Letcher was bound to spend the rest of his life trying to make up for his failure.

Every time she looked at him, she could see the tiredness that lingered in his expression. He would never remarry. He would never love again. And it broke her heart.

So every moment was a blessing. Time was scarce in their household.

"Couldn't sleep." He sighed loudly, setting the paper aside. "I don't have any surgeries scheduled today. It doesn't matter."

Lelia raised her eyebrow. "What time is it at?"

"2am." He groaned.

"That still counts as tonight daddy, you know that." She chuckled, opening the fridge to take out the carton of eggs. "You want any?"