Ten

The day was boring, like usual. Another day spent racking his broken brain for ideas to wreck Gotham. A day just like any other, except for someone was knocking on the door. All J could do was grit his teeth, gnashing them angrily. He had given explicit instructions to all of his goons, Frost especially, that he was not to be bothered for any reason.

"Someone better be dead, or they're going to be," Joker muttered to himself. "Who the fuck is it?"

"It's me, Daddy," a little voice replied anxiously. That better be Madeline or I'm going to murder a kinky ass fucker in about two seconds...

"What do you want?" Joker demanded.

The door opened slowly, the visitor taking his question as an invitation to enter.

"I haven't seen you in a while, and you missed dinner again tonight. Tommy and Andy said it was nothing and not to bother you, but you have to eat something," Maddie explained quietly, holding the tray in her little hands shakily.

J's glare softened slightly at the girl's worry. He jerked his head, signaling her to come closer and bring him the tray.

"So what does something consist of, exactly?" J wondered cautiously.

"Well I can't cook yet or use the oven because I'm not big enough, but I got you a granola bar, toast, carrots, and then an apple to keep the doctor away. Doctors sound scary," Maddie replied nervously. Bullets also repel doctors.

I do understand where she's coming from. Doctors can't be trusted.

Especially Johnny. The ones with PhDs are the nuttiest ones. But don't let him hear that, the delusional "Master of Fear".

"Thanks, doll, but Andy and Tommy were right. I can get my own food," J smiled, trying to drive her off.

"But you don't have to. I can take care of you, too, Daddy. Just like you take care of me," Maddie said quietly, shuffling her feet as she looked down at her clasped hands nervously, flashing a quick glance up at Joker every once in a while.

As much as he hated to admit it—and he would vehemently deny it to anyone who asked (or just kill them)—his heart melted the tiniest bit in his chest. Did he suddenly feel the urge to quit crime and go live in a pink cottage in the countryside with Maddie? No. Not even close. In fact, the pain in his chest made him want to hurt someone. But the fact that he didn't feel the urge to hurt Maddie for making him feel was progress. Very slow, but still progress.

"I wanted to make you some cookies but I don't know how," Maddie admitted shyly.

"Maybe I can show you," J offered slowly, the words feeling strange and heavy on his tongue. Pussy.

What? I'd much rather eat cookies than this. J defended himself to the voices.

"Really?" She asked brightly.

"Sure, why not?" Joker brushed it off, rising from his desk chair.

"But you can't just eat junk, Daddy. That's bad for you. At less eat the apple or carrots first," Madeline scolded.

"I'll be fine doll," J chuckled.

"But Andy told me that you have to eat healthy stuff if you're going to eat junk," she protested.

"That's because you're a child. And little girls need to listen to adults, because they know what's best for them. I'm a grownup and I can make my own decisions. When you're a grownup you can choose what you do," Joker answered. I can't believe I'm having this conversation.