Chapter 15 - The Epilogue

Epilogue

It had been a long day, a very long day, and it had been with mixed emotions that she'd travelled here. But as she threw open the door excitement took over. And it had barely changed. The walls were a different shade, the drapes a different colour, but when she threw them back, the view was the same. The skyscrapers of Manhattan were impressive by day, but stunning by night. Now at a midpoint between day and night, the dusk sunset gave everything a warm glow.

Stripping out of the clothes she'd travelled in, Melissa dived in the shower, then ransacked her bag for the dress she wanted. Pulling the thick black taffeta down over her hips noticing with a grimace that it was decidedly tighter than the last time she’d worn it, she stepped into heels, reapplied her lipstick and pulled her hair up into some form of controlled knot on top of her head. As she shimmied along to the elevator, more through necessity at the tightness of the dress around her hips than an attempt to be sexy, she tried to calm the curls escaping from the riotous mass of hair. 

Standing next to the bell boy, she checked out her reflection in the mirrored doors as they closed. Ten years hadn’t been that unkind, though her dark hair had a little help from chemicals these days. Her figure was fuller, but that never failed to get compliments.

Entering the reception she strolled purposely across the room, heading for one place, one life, one man. 

Liam was lounging in a chair, his legs crossed at the ankle, waiting, and as it always had been in the past, he sensed her before his eyes found her. But from this distance he had the chance to check out the only woman who'd ever turned him on at just a glance. He was hard already as he watched her walk towards him, swaying her hips, stretching out her interminably long legs in a confident stride, he had no idea how he’d last a whole evening in her company.

He couldn’t hide the smile, the desire this woman still fired in him, after ten years she still excited him like no one ever had. But there was more to it than that, he loved everything about her, the way her smile and enthusiasm lit up the saddest face, the way she chewed the pad of her right thumb when she listened to his problems, the way she knew exactly what mood he was in from a glance, and how to deal with it. She managed him with aplomb, and brought out the best in him. His life was so different and so complete since he'd finally admitted his feelings for her. And he hated to think of what could've been if she hadn't penetrated his thick defensive hide.

Just like ten years ago everyone in the room seemed drawn to her, she had a presence, an elegance that he’d seen in her the first time he’d set eyes on her. He didn't love her, it was so much more than that. He needed her to function, to breathe. 

Liam stood as she got closer, unable to hide the passion, the longing in his eyes, wanting this facade to be over. But it was important to her. 

"Dinner?" she asked. The same scenario, the same dialogue, the same date in May.

He nodded, unable to reply, leading her to the waiting limo, and helping her into the huge back seat.

Sat next to him Melissa could hardly contain her laughter, "I can’t keep this up Liam!"

He laughed too, "you said it was your dream to relive that night."

She reached across and pulled his lips down to hers, "I thought I did, but I don't. I relive that passion every day with you Liam, I don’t need role play to get it!"

He smiled against her lips, their foreheads touching, "is it possible that you can look even better than ten years ago? That I fancy you even more?"

Melissa shook her head, "with my middle age spread?"

"As if!" he ran a hand along her body over the curves of her hips, waist then breast, "if anything you are more perfect than ever!"

Laughing, she leaned back in her seat, "if only I’d known that, I’d never have made so much effort back then!"

They’d arrived at the restaurant, so he scooted over the seat to open the door, then offered a hand to help her out. Deliberately she brushed against him, and he raised an eyebrow unsure whether she was prepared for his full red blooded response. She merely giggled and led him into the restaurant.

In the reception, they were met by the maitre’d.

"Table for Mr and Mrs Hart." Liam announced confidently and they were led across the room to the same table.

Sliding into the seat opposite him, Melissa leaned back in the chair and watched him as he ordered wine. He was still an attractive man, his black hair had a fine smattering of white over the ears, but his jaw was still strong and constantly darkened by stubble, his eyes were never icy cold, these days they held the depth and warmth of azure seas in the tropical places he'd  taken her to over the years.

Since their marriage he had mellowed before her eyes. He loved his business, but in a healthy way. Now he took days off, they had lie-ins, holidays, Melissa never saw more irony than in seeing him attending school plays, fairs and sports days. The Dad's race always brought a special laugh.

She remembered him as he was at this table ten years ago, uptight, humourless, now he was not a father, he was a dad, as happy playing football in the garden with Jacob or helping Martha with her ballet moves, as he was changing the dirty nappy of either of the twins. She didn’t think that she’d ever have four children, but after nine year old Jacob, Martha followed a year later. Elijah and Conor were an unexpected arrival two years ago. 

She smiled at him, "has your mother called?"

"I knew it wouldn’t take you long to ask." He smiled at her, "she called just before you came down. They’re all asleep, all blew you kisses, and all miss you.....us!"

Melissa reached out for his hand, and as she was about to speak he interrupted her.

"Before you speak, yes we have done the right thing! Ten years ago today the woman of my dreams entered my life, and I want to celebrate that. You devote your life to those children, we deserve a night away, time for us!"

She smiled as she picked at her starter, "can we get it takeout? I’m just thinking we’re wasting time!"

His eyes twinkled, "just what did you have in mind Mrs Hart?"

"Midnight feast?" She gave him a look that he couldn't describe, but he could barely think for the pounding in his head.

"It’s only seven o’clock!"

She called over the waiter to ask for the food to be packed to go, then turned to him, "well you’ll just have to think of something to keep us occupied until then, won’t you?"

Holding hands they dived into a taxi, then disappeared into the same hotel suite in the same hotel, to recapture the lifelong partnership they’d discovered there.