... when the spice burns

He never tolerated lying. He can always tell when his staff lies to him whenever he corners them in reports. He is quick to reprimand, because he believes honesty should be a championed work ethic. And that's how one develops trust. That's one of the reasons why he's good at what he does. He understands the products that their client want to promote, believes in them, so he can deliver with all honesty and trust the best work in the accounts he handles.

So now, he can't sit still while having dinner across the woman he loves, knowing that he's hiding something from her. And a witness is threatening to spill, so he has to think fast.

"Oh my god, this is the best ramen I've ever had!"

He looks at her and can't help but smile. She was sweating like crazy, having ordered for an extra spicy ramen dish (it had five chilis on the menu), and she kept on slurping at the soup, chopsticks on one hand.

"Dearie, drink some water please. I don't like how red you look like right now. Are you sure you're ok?"

"Haha, I'm fine Bel. I love spicy ramen! I'm used to this, don't worry."

"Yeah, my girl Maine here sometimes chews on raw chili, can you believe that? I won't be surprised if she suddenly fires up when she gets angry."

He took a sip of the hot tea that was served to them. He ordred gyoza and a salad, refusing her offer to share the spicy soup. He glared at the pen lying on the table, willing for it to shut up.

"Do you even get angry, dearie? I think I've never seen you mad, well, I haven't know you that long anyway. Richard, here, can also be very brutal when he gets mad. His staff should know."

"Hey, I'm a reformed man now, Bel. And my staff are beginning to like me."

"That's because they are thankful to Maine."

She giggled, remembering how Richard's female staff, and Mike, have been smiling and waving at her when she sees them outside the building, or riding the elevator together. They've never talked to her directly, no chit-chat, but she feels like they are always thanking her with the sincere looks that they give her. While Richard's male staff, on the other hand, make sure to avoid her, lest they get a beating from their boss. She looked at him, and though he seems to be staring at her, she can tell that he is lost in thought. She put down her chopsticks and reached out for his hand.

"Are you getting bored? Tired? I'll finish up so we can go."

"Huh? No, I'm...fine. I'm ok."

"Mallows is probably just thinking about that big account he bagged at lunch."

"Oh right, how was it? So you got the account? Congratulations, love! I knew you'd get it."

"You should have seen him, girl, he was soooo good!"

He took another sip of tea, smiling at her, then cast a glare at the pen as she went back to slurping the spicy soup.

"It seems Bic here will be starting a fans club for you now. She can't seem to stop praising you. Were with you them, Bel?"

"Oh he never takes me to his meetings anymore, dearie. I begged him not to bring me because I've seen how grim and determined he is, and though I'm proud of him, I sometimes pity the client."

"Well, this client sure looked pitiful. Didn't she, Mallows?"

"Love, are you done? Is it ok if we get the bill? Excuse me, bill out please!"