Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

"This is it?" Finnegan looked around at the stone walls and frowned, "These are the great old things that folks come from near and far to look upon?"

"I never said they were anything fancy," Calvin replied.

"Well we certainly can't call ya a liar than can we?" Finnegan grinned and hopped off the wall. "Now let's have a look at that map shall we?"

He stepped closed to Cassandra as she pulled the leather bound map from her saddlebag and spread it open on the ground. The four treasure hunters studied it carefully.

"The next point is this," Cassandra pointed at a spot on the map that appeared to be a big blob with a circle beside it that had a tail.

"What the hell is that then?" Finnegan questioned, hoping that either Cassandra or Calvin would have an idea.

"I have no idea," Calvin finally admitted.

Cassandra snorted when Finnegan looked at her. "Do you honestly think I know? It's a circle with a tail beside a blob! You should have picked a mapmaker with more artistic skills."

"Well isn't that just fine and dandy." Finnegan strode away from the group and climbed back onto one of the stone fences. He looked in every direction for anything that resembled what was on the map but saw nothing.

"Maybe we can just figure out where this last landmark is and get to the treasure from there. I don't know why we would have to visit each landmark," Cassandra offered.

"There is a key to the treasure at each landmark, Little Cass, it says so on the back of the map," Finnegan replied. He saw her flip the map over and study the back before she fixed him with an accusatory glare.

"Why didn't you tell me this was back here?"

Finnegan shrugged. "Why didn't ya look?"

Cassandra looked quite like she wanted to throttle him. "So we have to find a key. A real key or a clue? What is the key?"

"The treasure is a lost shipment of gold." Finnegan jumped from the stones and walked toward her, staying far enough away to avoid a slap or punch. She look mad enough to do either. "They ship gold in lockboxes so it would make sense that they are real keys."

"Can I see that?" Seamus asked, holding his hand out for the map. Cassandra placed it in his hands and he studied the next landmark closely for a moment before laughing lowly and turning his gaze to Finnegan. "You should know what the circle with a tail is, Finnegan. You've had one wrapped around your neck more than once."

Finnegan grinned. "Dear Seamus, ya need to have your eyes checked. There is no way that picture is a set of milky feminine thighs."

"Finn, divorces are becoming easier all the time," Cassandra warned, though Finnegan could see the amusement sparkling in her green eyes.

Seamus shook his head. "A noose, Finnegan. It's a noose."

Finnegan stepped a bit closer and studied the picture. "You're right! Wow! Those are two words I never thought I'd be speakin' to ya, Seamus."

Cassandra snapped her fingers. "Focus please."

Finnegan kissed her cheek, she was rather testy lately. "Alright then, it's a noose and a.... blob. Blobby noose? Noosey blob? Hang blob? Hanging blob?"

"It could be a rock," Calvin suggested.

"The Hanging Rock?" Finnegan tested that on his tongue and then he laughed, jumped forward and kissed Calvin square in the mouth.