The Unspoken Words

"I don't see what your problem is. She gave you her permission to not go and she was really nice to you." Lockwood stated as they climbed out of their taxi and walked over to their client's house.

"She treated me like I was inferior to you guys or something. She called you guys by your last names but she didn't think of me as Miss Carlyle. She thought of me as a child, she treated me like a child and I don't much appreciate that."

"You are the youngest of us, we are all children technically." George pointed out. To which Lucy rolled her eyes.

"I know you're upset with our client Lucy but get it all out. You know negative emotions aren't good on jobs. Think happy stuff or something." Lucy sighed, once again he was right. He and George always seemed to be right.

Lucy closed her eyes and thought of happier times. She reminded herself of the pure joy she experienced hearing Lockwood's voice for the first time in months. The joy of eating George's delicious meals for the first time in months, and how comfortable her bed felt.

"Okay, there. I'm ready to go in."

"Good, it's not very dark yet so we should get our temperature measurements and what not done quick." Lockwood led the group into the house. They set up a safe spot in the living room and took their measurements.

As with Miss Fisher's story, the pantry was the coldest and was where the Visitor would likely appear. It was a small room, Lucy worried she'd end up breaking something like she had a tendency to do. Lucky for them Miss Fisher had just moved in and the house was relatively empty.

They took stock of their iron fillings, salt bombs, then sat and waited. Lucy doodled while Lockwood went over his notes on the case aloud.

"The last resident here died suddenly and of unnaturally causes within three weeks of living here and Miss Fisher has only lived here two days and already can describe creeping fear, malaise, and miasma. She even said she feels a chill all throughout the house once it gets darker. Especially in the party and the rooms around it, including the room above."

"Must be Type Two right?" Lucy asked.

"Probably," George checked his thermometer. "Temperature dropped 15° degrees in the last half hour."

"It'll be here any minute." Lockwood grabbed out his rapier and moved over to the pantry, they had a set of iron chains across the doorway in case they needed an escape from the tiny pantry.

"Remember the plan, Lucy? You find the Source while we fight the Visitor. I have a feeling it's in a wall or something so you might wanna grab a hammer." Lucy grabbed a crowbar instead, the house was pretty poorly made, she figured she could do some damage with it.

She also grabbed a silver net and tucked it into the pocket of her new jacket. Lockwood had bought it for her since her old one had gotten ruined. She loved it, it was kind of like a less dramatic version of Lockwood's coat.

Moving through the darkness they all gathered around the pantry door. Ghost fog began billowing down the right wall, hitting the floor it rippled out like splashes of water. Then the voice began, soft but deep, close yet far, and nothing less than disgusting.

Lockwood and George, of course, couldn't hear it but they could sense it's presence. Lucy was less fortunate, she could hear it, currently, it was only moaning in self-pity as most Visitors did.

"Is that a leg?" George asked pointing to the ceiling. Sure enough, the Visitor was sinking through the ceiling and wall.

"Huh. How odd, seems the source is in the ceiling. That is one slow Visitor, think it knows we're here?" Lockwood asked.