Chapter One: The Aid in her Escape

~Chapter One~

The Aid in her Escape

Galloping through the woods, Cassandra hoped the horses weren’t too loud.  For as long as she can remember, she had practiced the art of silence. Silence in disagreement and opinion, for that matter. This was key for Cassandra, the niece and adopted daughter of King Godfrey of Ashborne.

To contradict the king was a terrible mistake. Instead, every night she went to her chambers and would tell her opinion to the only person in the world she could trust; her servant, Cadence.

Now as she ran away from her life, the destiny in which she’d been born into, she couldn’t help but feel guilty for bringing her servant with her. If King Godfrey found out she had left her royal duties, he would certainly punish them both. And Cassandra valued her friend’s life more than even her own.

She didn’t know what time it was, but daylight was shining. Most likely, the Royal Court had begun, as it did on every Saturday morning. Godfrey would soon notice she wasn’t there and send Prince Luke, with the Knights of Ashborne, after her.

 “I can see the Kingdom’s borders in the distance,” Cassandra told Cadence excitedly. “We’re almost there.” Nodding, Cadence told the horses to go faster.

Suddenly, a voice came from out of the trees. “Halt, Princess!” it said. The voice belonged to a knight, his armour shining in the daylight, clear with the Phoenix symbol of Cassandra’s beloved kingdom.

“You go, I’ll hold them back, My Lady!” cried Cadence. She felt it was her duty to help her friend, even if she was arrested or banished because of it.

“No, there’s no use, they have us surrounded,” the princess replied solemnly. As she spoke, twelve horseback knights and the prince had made a circle around them, ensuring that there would be no escape.  

The girls were whisked off their horses. Cadence was forced onto the back of a knight’s horse, and Cassandra was put on the horse with Prince Luke.

“Father’s very angry with you, Cassandra,” he said after a while of riding in silence. “You really should not have done this. You may have pushed him too far this time.”

“He is your father, not mine,” she snapped.  

“Well Cassandra, I suppose that is correct, but your parents are dead. My father was kind enough to take you in. Therefore, he’s still your guardian, and not a happy one at the moment.”

This brought tears to Cassandra’s eyes. The memories of her father and mother were painful. Although she was only six when her father, King Nathaniel, had died, she still remembered the day that Ashborne was attacked. Marching into battle, he was killed by raiders. Her mother, Queen Seraphina, disappeared a month later with Cassandra’s twin brother; the only male heir to the throne.

It was cruel of Luke to bring them up. “I told you not to speak of them,” Cassandra said quietly.

Wiping away tears, the princess glanced back at her servant. Cadence was deep in thought, the look on her face hinting that she was wondering about how severe the punishment would be. I shouldn’t have brought her along, Cassandra scolded herself in her head. This was my idea, not hers. What have I done? She will be punished, and only for being a loyal maid and friend!

When they arrived at the edge of the woods, guards were all around. Confused, Cassandra turned to Luke.

“We had to check everywhere, not knowing where you had gone. You are very good at not leaving a trail,” he told her. He then turned to the knights and commanded them, “Go and tell the royal guards that the search is off, Lady Cassandra has been found, and that the Royal Court session will continue. All men will report to their posts at the castle.”