Chapter 27

Selena showered quickly while Justin waited patiently for her in his car. She didn't take long to towel off and let her wet hair slide down her shoulders. Then, she excitedly opened her suitcase and wore the only dress she brought: a yellow summer dress covered with dozens of flower patterns. It embraced her personal sense of style perfectly, and that was exactly what she wanted for her first date with Justin.

Twenty minutes later, they were both in front of a tall building, lit up by string lights and expensive white candles. Collecting their ticket, the couple stood in front of the busy restaurant, both gazing at the sign. Selena couldn't believe he took her somewhere that fancy since she excited some kind of romantic picnic underneath the beautiful stars. They linked arms and entered it.

"Goodnight, lovely couple," beamed the voice of a waitress whose cherry-red lips were pressed too tightly together. "Please follow me." She led them to a far table that overlooked the city of Washington, letting them admire a miraculous view. She then laid out the menus on the table, before giving them a timid glance and running off.

"So..." started Justin, clearing his throat of nervousness. "I know you're from New York City, but I was wondering why did you move here."

Speaking truthfully, Justin was only scared that she'd leave him. He wanted to make sure that she won't return there soon, and let him down. His palms sweating, he locked eyes with her girlfriends and it stole his breath. She looked so stunning underneath the multicolored lights, almost like an angel.

"I wanted this job," Selena lied, her smile never faltering. "I trained for a long time to become a security agent, and it'd be crazy to not take the offer when opportunities come to you."

"Yes, the chief told me," Justin chuckled, feeling like an idiot. "I'm glad you like this job. Not many women do."

Selena raised an eyebrow playfully, her lips twitching into a smirk. That wasn't what he said the first day they met. "You're so versatile," she teased, fiddling with her fingers. "I hope you won't change your mind about me that soon. I will be very disappointed."

"I'll never change my mind about you," declared the man, sharing a kiss with her. "We are forever."

The agent smiled brightly, happy to have found a caring, generous and in fact, perfect man.

"Are you cold?" suddenly inquired the brown-haired agent, noticing the slight shivers that took control of her body.

The blonde woman realized just now that she was indeed, cold. Shifting her brown eyes to the open window, and feeling the frozen breeze entering the restaurant, she shyly nodded.

"Put on this!" Insisted the man, taking off hurriedly his jacket and handing it to his date. "Don't worry about me, I can always fight against a cold."

Selena hesitated but decided to take the jacket anymore. She threw him a thankful look, but when she wore it, two shiny rings dropped from the sleeves. Surprised and shocked, she exclaimed: "What is it, Justin?"

The question lingered between them, but Justin finished by gently picking it up and wrapping one of them around his index. Satisfied, he handed the other ring to Selena. "It's a promise ring", he explained. "I vow to never hurt you and always be by your side no matter what."

She stared at the ring. Beautiful was an understatement. He couldn't believe he bought her something this gorgeous, and it meant a lot. She picked it up and put it on her finger, also, so that they could match.

 She picked it up and put it on her finger, also, so that they could match