Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

    Ellie refused to cry. She refused to feel sorry for herself. Her life was better now than it had been before meeting Jacob and for that alone she would be forever grateful. She was free from Otis. She was going to be making honest money. She was able to spend time with her sister and would be able to see her much more often when she started school in Austin than she had when Liza had been in New York. 

    While her heart ached for Jacob and she wanted desperately to feel those gentle hands touching her again, to feel his lips on hers and to hear his deep, soothing voice whispering how much he loved her,  she knew now that she would never feel or hear those things again. He was too set in his own ways and too determined to be alone.  

    "Shit!" Kent cursed. "Sorry about my language, Miss Thompson, but I told you he wasn't gonna be none too happy that you left without letting him say goodbye. And dammit he told me to stay away from you... I'm fired for sure!" Kent exclaimed with dread as he pulled up the reins and brought the wagon to a stop. 

    Ellie looked behind them and saw Jacob riding toward them at a full gallop, with dust flying beneath his horses hooves. Her heart filled with hope. Hope that maybe, just maybe, he had finally come to his senses. She tried to push that hope down to save herself the pain that would come if he rejected her, but still it rose. When he drew his horse to a stop beside the wagon and she saw the possessive, hungry look in his eyes, the hope grew leaps and bounds until she was nearly bursting with it. 

    Jacob held his hand out for her and she bit her lip and glanced at Liza. Liza's eyes widened as she nodded and seemed to say, 'What are you waiting for?'.

    Ellie turned her attention back to Jacob. His green eyes were locked with hers and his jaw was tense. She knew if she took his hand everything between them would change. She knew if she took his hand then she would be forgiving him for the past month with just that simple gesture. Was she ready to do that? 

    "What are you waiting for, Miss Thompson? I think the man wants you to come with him," Kent whispered in her ear. 

    Ellie couldn't stop the smile that spread across her face and she held out her own hand. She yelped with surprise when Jacob grabbed her arm and pulled her onto the horse, the same way he had the night she had tried to steal the money and run away. Her legs were wrapped around his waist and she wrapped her arms tight around his neck and rested her head on his chest. 

    He smelled of dust, sweat and that familiar masculine scent that she had missed so much. 

    Jacob kept one hand on the reins and the other arm wrapped tight around her, "Turn that wagon around, Kent, these ladies aren't going anywhere." 

    "We aren't?" Liza demanded, trying to hide her smile. 

    Jacob shook his head, "No, you're not." Ellie trembled at the quiet assurance in his voice. 

    Kent rubbed his neck, "Uh.. Mr. Atkinson... I didn't mean to go against your orders but she....."  

    "Just take Liza and the wagon back to the ranch, Kent, and I'll forget about the fact that you ignored me." Kent nodded and turned the wagon. 

    "Where are we going?" Ellie whispered as Jacob started the horse off into the surrounding wilderness. 

    "Just trust me," Jacob replied. "I want to be alone with you for a while." 

    Ellie snuggled her head against him and listened to the steady beat of his heart as they galloped across the plains. She glanced around as he brought the horse to a stop and she recognized the oaks and the small pond that they had picnicked at the day they had made love.