It Started With A Kiss... How'd It End Up Like This?

I held on tightly to Ashley's waist as I watched the world blend together, my new clothes safely tucked away in the side satchels of the powerful machine we were on. My mind couldn't stop racing with thoughts and memories of my childish youth. It was strange, being back here after twelve years of living in Finland with my Father. I could remember almost everything, as if it was yesterday.

My eyes traveled to a tall bulding far off in the distance. I remember running around it when I was four, a huge bandage on my cheek. I just got kicked out of pre-school for fighting other kids. The memorie caused me to smile slightly. I was a little hell fire that knew how to fight cause of my uncle Jesse. And I took shit from no one when it came to my family. That was when I was to be homeschooled instead. I was told that my mind was more mature than other children my age in the first place.

I snuggled into Ashley's back more, enjoying the warmth he gave off. It made me feel safe. Something I struggle to feel ever since my Mother passed away. I could feel the cold steel of the heart shaped holder of the tiny urne that held some of her ashes press agains my breast, as if to comfort me in some way. My smile grew in size as I went back to watching the colors blend. They blended so much that I could see my past play as we flew by.

Three. That's how old I was. I stood in a gown that my Mum made me, it was made out of fine dark blue silk and was highlighted with lighter blue in certain areas. It made my eyes stand out, as she would say. The loose ringlets of my hair fell to my shoulders as I held my black stuff bunny with red x's for eyes, sucking on my thumb as I watched a beautiful Japanese woman dress in her own gown made of purple silk. I stood there, thumb in my mouth, studying what she was doing. I had the bad habbit of people watching, but that's how I learned. I learned by watching. Tilting my head to the side I watched as she place a thin chain around her neck, and resting at the base of her throat was a 25 karat red diamond in the shape of a rose wrapped around a chained up heart. It was a gift from Daddy.

Four. I was dressed in shorts that went slightly passed my knees and an Alice Cooper kids shirt. I sat my rabbit down in the dirt next to me as I watched Mum. She was planting roses under my balcony that will climb up the ladder thing that was bulit on the house. I reached up and started picking at the bandage on my nose and cheek. Mum seen and gently smacked my hand with a frown. I just smiled and placed the toy in my lap and went back to watching. Once she was done did I help put the dirt back into place. In the end I had smuges of dirt  and mud up my arms, legs, and face. I looked up at Mum as she stood up, dusting off her pants. She looked down at me and giggled before picking me up and resting me against her hip. "Oh my little Mai, what am I going to do with such a filthy little dancer?" her voice was light and airy, like the gentle breeze during spring that blew acrossed an open medow. Oh how I missed her.

Five. Daddy wasn't working and paid Mum and me a visit. It was Halloween. Meaning that it was my birthday. The theme was a big ball. I looked at the black bunny that sat across from me with a thoughtful look. People were running around while Daddy just leaned against the wall, slowly drinking a bottle of diet coke. Mum was messing with my hair, trying to figure out what to do with it. In the end she placed a black headband with a red rose in my hair, parting my bangs and fringes from the rest. I couldn't help but smile up at her as I rested my lace covered hands in my black and red silk clad lap. Daddy chuckled as he came over to help Mum who was fixing the collar I wore. He knealt down in front of me and placed my heel on his thigh, tying the laces of the knee high boots I wore. Mum smoothed my curls down before offering me her hand. Before I could grab it though, Daddy had already picked me up and was carrying me. The party was being held in the parlor in Mum's home; seeing as Daddy's tower was too small for everyone. I held on to my Daddy, lazily twirling a strand of hair around my finger as I looked about the room. People were dressed elegently and wore silly masks, it reminded me of the movie Labrynth. But none of the people were around my age. I frowned slightly as Daddy sat me down. He pushed me forward a bit, telling me to go and dance.