Chapter 1: Introducing Me- Sophia McKenzie

I sat in my car with my head pressed up against the head rest. The buzzing sound of my cell phone was beginning to annoy me. I grunted as I reached for my book bag on the passenger seat. I already knew who it was, but I still checked the phone just in case.

"Running late? Last night got you tired, I have more in store for you!" I read the text message and rolled my eyes. He was such a cocky pompous ass. I hesitated before typing but I knew exactly how to answer him.

"I am in the parking lot and actually you were rather quick last night. What happened, premature impotence kicking in?" I typed back and smiled to myself. I grabbed my book bag and then exited my car. I kicked the driver door of my car close with my combat boots and walked toward the school building with the sun shining on me like a spot light.

And Queue the Music: When I arrive...I bring the fire....!!! Yup, that is my theme song. I like to walk to a beat. So I always recite and sing that song in my head as I walked. I am a little nutty like that.

I spotted the prime suspect. I tried to subdue my smirk by licking my lips and allowing my natural pout to expose itself. I strutted down the hallways clicking my combat boots against the marble floor, with my fitted baseball cap turned backwards, and my black tresses cascading down to my mid back. I could feel the eyes of people checking me out. I connected eyes with an underclassman and winked at him. I could see him swallow nervously and I chuckled to myself. Oh you got to love high school.

I walked by James discretely averting my eyes to him and checked him out. He looked well rested. He was surrounded by his “roll dogs” Anthony, Marcus, Kareem, and Tony, they were all heartthrobs in their own right and belonged to the varsity Football team. Their little “groupies” Amanda, Desiree, Yellie, Marie, and Tatiana were surrounding them, flirting I suppose. The girls of the dance squad were so predictable. The school year did not even start properly and they were already marking their territory. It was not like any underclassmen would dear to talk to these guys. To be honest, the size of their chests would deter me too, if I was not a senior. I don’t know what those girls were trying to protect because everyone, at Edgar Evers High School for Technology and the Arts knew that those girls “thought” that those guys were their property. It was funny because those guys thought that they were “free masons” and that they could do whatever, with whomever, and the reality those guys did just that.

“Hey trick, keep your eyes to yourself.” Amanda called out. I snapped my head to her. Her arms were all over and intertwined with James. I narrowed my eyes at James and he shifted very discretely away from Amanda. However, her grip on him was like a man who could not swim yet was stranded in the middle of the ocean clinging to a hay stick for dear mercy and life. I licked my lips and smirked.

“Go suck something hard.” I said back. I was trying to be PG-13, it was early in the morning and who wants to curse. I am a God-fairing teen you know! James tried to stifle a chuckle behind his smirk. The other guys chuckled as Amanda and her posse gasped.

“What did you say?” She asked releasing James from her death grip. She walked toward me. I shook my head. Here we go again. She always just loved to get into it with me. I don’t know why she has it out for me. I mean I don’t mingle with in the stupidity crew. I live my life, in my circle. I never wanted to enter their world. You would think I am a nerd or something. No offense to the nerds and geeks out there, because I love ya’ll, I really do, I don’t hate on the bottom tier, at all, but I mean I am Sophia McKenzie for goodness sake. I am not some anybody in this building. I never was.

I have made a name for myself and I like my name. I am that hard chick that rocks combat boots or dunks with a skin tight tee shirt dress. I am that chick that can throw a football further than Mr. Running back Kareem. I am that chick that can rock a fitted baseball cap over her long curly black hair as if it is the sexiest thing on earth. I am that chick that people tend to want to be and girls like Amanda want to hate.