The God Who Grumbled

"It's a rot, I tell you," Grumbled Hector. "An absolute rot."

Loki nodded patiently as they walked through the city. It was morning. The summer sun shone down on the street on a surprisingly clear day. Loki noted that the city typically had a layer of smog over it this time of day. But the sun shone just bright enough to warm the day, but not to hot to make the average person sweat as they walked. The temperature was a perfect seventy-three degrees. It was the kind of day where people thanked the gods for small miracles.

Hence why Hector was walking around complaining.

A storm front moving in from the northwest suddenly changed course and went north over the pole. TV weathermen were throwing fits and tantrums that everything they predicted yesterday fell apart. They retreated behind the veneer of "You can never predict the weather," while slyly popping a few Prozacs.

Hector didn't care. People asked for a day like this and he delivered.

The nice temperature also extended to the joyful noise of the kids in the park they crossed by. The swings and slides were cleverly designed as a fire truck and a jungle gym. Watchful mothers chatted pleasantly with the nannies watching over their charges. Kids shared snacks and drinks as the zipped to and fro. Hector never slowed his pace, but he did cast a wary eye over the playground, keeping an eye on the kids. Loki privately noted that Hector didn't like it when bad things happened to kids, which is why so many good things do happen to them when he was around.

Loki caught the motion of one of the kids pushing his friend on the swing. He was pushing just a little too hard and Loki expected the child to fall off the swing, crying. Suddenly, the pushing boy tripped slightly over a little rock he hadn't seen before. It would make doing the harder pushes more difficult, so he pushed with more caution.

"I mean, you ask them, all of them, why do it? Why go?" Hector grumbled as they passed a tiny spider making a web between the broken spokes of an iron fence. A gesture from Hector made a small breeze kick up, causing the spider to make an error in its web. The spider was about to correct it when a fly flew into that spot.

"I'll tell you why, to fight over scraps." Grumbled Hector. Loki nodded patiently again. Hector was dressed in an old-fashioned brown three piece suit and bow tie. A black bowler cap sat square on his head, making the old man look a bit out of time. Of course, Loki knew that was the point, not that anyone seemed to notice. Despite his own dapper tuxedo and bow tie, they both went out of their way to be unnoticed.

For you see they were both gods.

Loki of course, was the Norse God of Trickery. He didn't go out much anymore. Trickery was hard to come by these days in the age of lawsuits and cameras everywhere. But he was the only one who seemed to be able to talk to Hector. Because, while Hector was also a god, he didn't like other ones so much.

"A bunch of grouchy old men and women sitting around a dinner table and trying to fight over the scraps of faith the people offered up that month." Hector was in full grumble mode. Loki sighed. This was going to be a long one.

Oddly, Hector, the God of Small Miracles and Loki got on really well. Mostly because Hector loved the little pranks Loki pulled on the other gods, but partially because Loki also loved Bubblegum Ice Cream. Loki noted, with mild amusement, they were heading toward the Mr. Softee Ice Cream Truck. Apparently, the driver had to switch routes with another truck driver due to a flat tire.

"Monthly Meeting and Taco Bar. What a rot." Hector snorted and cast his eyes about. He changed direction and started heading toward the ice cream truck. Hector's eye caught a homeless puppy and gestured. The dog suddenly caught a whiff of freshly cooked food and ran towards it. On the way, it bumped into one of the park kids. The kid instantly fell in love and snatched the puppy up. Hector didn't smile, but as he walked, he kept an eye on the dog and boy as they ran to his mother.