Chapter Twelve

"Have you seen this girl?"

"Oh dear God! What happened to her wrists? I wish I could help you, but 'fraid I can't mate."

"If you see this girl, may you tell her where I am? I'll always be waiting, at that house."

"Ermm- Alright, I suppose. Best of luck to you young gun."

"Hello Miss. Take a minute to look at this face?"

"Don't know who that is. Sorry."

"Excuse me- Does she long familiar?"

"Wow! She's a real dish! Ah- But, no, haven't seen her around lad."

"Sir! Please. Have you seen this girl?"

"I really-- I- I must be going- Sir, stop harassing me."

"No I insist! It's only a second! Please. I'm not harassing!"

This was a normal afternoon for Steven. Every afternoon was filled of determination, sighs, then disappointment . As usual, he'd wait 'til the streets filled with traffic, then he'd stand in the corner with his most recent picture of the queen of his thoughts. He'd been doing this since he was twelve years old. Some payed attention to him, others didn't. In the end, no one recognized the beautiful woman, and Steven's hopes seemed smaller. But by the next day, he was determined to continue.

 "I think I know who that is!" Steven heard from behind.

His eyes opened wide with eagerness and anticipation. 

"Finally!" Steven thought. 

He swung around, only to see his landlord- Ernest Hannah. A wicked smile was on his lips, and Steven could only shake his head in disgust. 

"Hello tenant." he laughed heartily. 

"Shut up." Steven rolled his eyes.

"Have you no shame Avendale? They all think you're a mad man; you do this every day!" Ernest groaned.

"And I will continue to. I guess I'm mad after all."

"You should be at Bedlam." Ernest muttered under his breath.

"I have no money. How else shall I pay for a doctor to recommend my admittance there?" Steven asked.

"Perhaps you could be selling those paintings for money-- Instead of building a shrine in your home."  Ernest added.

"There is no shrine!" Steven spat.

"It's exquisite detail. Why, I'd buy it m'self. How much?" Ernest asked.

"Not for sale." Steven sighed.

"Excuse me, have you seen this face before?" Steven asked to a woman passing by. She shook her head, and Steven returned his focus back on Ernest.

"Have you the rent?" Ernest asked.

"It ain't due today." Steven answered.

"I say it is." Ernest chuckled.

"You can't do that!" Steven gasped in horror.

"Says who?," Ernest provoked with a grin. Steven only stared. "Poor artsy boy. . ." Ernest tsked. "I pity you so much. No. Just kidding. Pay up." 

"But-- I can't-" Steven began to say.

"Tell you what!," Ernest cut in with a smile. "You sell me that picture, and I'll give you two months for the next payment."