Skylight

'

Chapter 1

If I think about it, I could say that I never really liked the story that I was told of Romeo and Juliet. They fall in love, get engaged, plan a marriage,then they both end up killing themselves. The end.

Even with the dark ending and slightly horrific fairy tail style that Shakespeare used, it still doesn’t seem real.  Never the less it was a beautiful love story, and somehow I wished it was my life.

~

“... Right Tempest?”

Half asleep, I quickly opened my eyes at the sound of my name. I rubbed them and lifted my head up from my folded arms.

“I’m sorry what was that ma'am?” I asked stretching my arms out before me. I glanced over at the teacher who was staring at me, unamused by my response, and smiled. She replied with a deep, annoyed sigh.

“I said, ‘Looks as if sleep seems to be an important factor for a Math class, right Tempest?’” She tapped her foot, her small, old-lady foot, and folded her arms across her chest.

“Oh most definitely Mrs…” I trailed off my sentence and quickly looked the board over for any sign of her name, but with my luck I found nothing but the basic rules of substitution for the common variables of  ‘x’ and ‘y’.  I fixated my gaze upon the small, fragile woman who still stood by her desk in the same position as a couple minutes ago and sighed.

“Sleep is a very important factor especially when it comes to Math. Without a minimum of eight hours of sleep, how would one student be able to properly take in such,” I paused and looked down at the blank page of my notebook titled 'Notes', then looked back up at the board.

“Such, equations  as 2x+y= 6 and 4y-2x= 8.”

The teacher’s chilled stare of her icy blue eyes scared me. She opened her mouth to speak and then closed it again.

“Very valid point Miss, but this is Algebra 1-2, students like you are very fortunate to be in the class. Don’t waste my time.” She spoke in an assertive tone. “Oh and Tempest, you may call me Mrs. Cyler” She turned her back on me, taking the final word of this argument and continued to write out the steps of substitution. I scrunched my nose.

‘Students like me? What’s that supposed to mean?’ I thought as I leaned to the side, taking a pen from the front pocket of my bag. Sitting up straight I flipped to the next  page of my notebook and began writing. Words soon turned into sentences, sentences into paragraphs and paragraphs into pages.  Propping my head on my hand I  began randomly scribbling a doodle on the desk.  

“Look that’s cute and all, but in case you haven’t noticed, Mrs. Cyler is kind of a neat freak” A voice called over my shoulder. Glancing behind me I noticed a black  haired boy looking down at his notebook. I stared blankly at him, watching  as he flicked his head to the side, brushing his bangs out of his eyes.  Through his bangs he looked up at me. I shook my head.

“Well she’s just going to have to deal with it, now isn’t she?” I replied in a snarky tone. He smirked and lifted his head up, his brown eyed gaze meeting my blue eyed.

“You know you really should pay attention, being how you’re just a first year. It helps to pass your class the first time.” He said twirling his pencil between his fingers.

“And who are you to give me advice about passing? What experience would you have?” I questioned, glancing down at his notebook. He saw where my eyes were looking and covered the drawing  filled page with his textbook. Letting a low chuckle escape his throat, he leaned back in his seat and crossed his arms.