1. Distress Flare

Kids from all over the Glade had stopped what they were doing the second that the bright lights had hit the sky

Kids from all over the Glade had stopped what they were doing the second that the bright lights had hit the sky. They had all stopped in shock as those lights meant nothing good. They were sign of distress.

"Was that a flare."

"Shuck. Who do you think it was?"

"Florrie, a flare!"

"I know, Slintheads." Florrie yelled, as she stormed out of the Med-Jack hut, "I'm going, get out of my way you shucking shanks." She went into offensive mode, like a soldier getting ready for battle: pulling up her hair and grabbing her emergency pack.

"Did anyone see what section it came from?" She asked, throwing on her emergency pack onto her back as she headed towards the doors closest to where the flare went off.

Alby reached up to rub the back of his neck, "I think it was in section seven, maybe down by the cliffs."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes he is, now go." Gally said, pushing her towards the west doors. "Bring them back here, hurry."

"Okay." She said, before taking off into the Maze, heading towards section seven. "Tell Nick I went into The Maze."

The Maze was dark. It was creepy. It was depressing. Florrie hated The Maze. She hated the endless corridors. She hated the never ending walls that shot towards the sky. But most of all, she hated the things that happened to the gladers inside the maze, when they got stung or injured.

Nick, Alby, Florrie, and Minho had all been sick and tired of losing Gladers to the Maze. They had tried many things to lessen the amount of Gladers getting hurt in it, but the ideas had run short. If they had runners run in packs of two, they couldn't cover the entire maze. If someone got hurt inside the maze, then they had to make it back all on their own and risk getting caught by a griever.

It was only when Nick made a comment about wishing they had a way to signal each other in the maze that Florrie had thought of something. Sky signals.

While things like smoke signals wouldn't work, as the smoke wouldn't be able to reach above the walls. She remembered fireworks. Fireworks shooting miles into the sky. Of course after talking with Minho and Nick about these, Minho's memory sparked and he had blurted out the words 'Flare Gun'.

The question then came, how would we get them back? Florrie, a runner at the time, suggested that since she was a med-jack before she became a runner that she would be in charge of getting to them and bringing them back. That meant that she would no longer be a runner though, as it wouldn't be time efficent to have her have to run from a completely diffrent section of the maze, no she would have to stay at the Glade, and a new runner would be chosen to run in her place.

Since her last day as a runner, she had only been in the maze a small handfull of times, and if she was being honest, even though she hated The Maze, she also kind of missed it. She missed the constant movement, the adrenaline rush that running gave her, and the time that she was giving to do nothing but run and think.