Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Haroon looked at his friend with raised brows.

“What? I’m serious!” Zain looked offended.

Umar, Haroon’s cousin hit him over the head.

“Think like a man,” he said, “You can’t kidnap her and take her all the way to another country. There’s no logic in that.”

Haroon chuckled shaking his head. Then was serious again.

“Seriously, I need help here.” He said, giving his friend a pointed look.

Zain threw his arm around his shoulder.

“Chill, my married man. We’ll sort something out. Heck, I’ll pay for your ticket.”

Umar pulled him away from Haroon.

“Grow up man. You’ve been complaining of having a payment cut and now you’re paying for tickets.” He shook his head in disappointment.

Haroon sat down on the hood of his cousin’s car. He was feeling very tired. This entire marriage and tradition thing was getting to him. Sure he’s known that there were twisted people in this world that mixed tradition up with religion and played Force, but he never thought he’d meet any; forget marrying one of their daughter’s. This marriage thing was more demanding than he thought. No wonder couples had more stress than single people.

Still, he thought getting advice from his close mates would be of use. Zain was of no use – there was no doubt in that – but Umar had a head. 

“So the old man wants you to divorce her?” Umar joined him on the hood.

Haroon sighed and nodded. 

“Why don’t you?” Zain asked, his brows scrunching up in confusion, “You don’t know her.”

Haroon heard his cousin groan in frustration.

“Marriage is not a joke,” he explained to his friend, “You’ll understand when you get married.”

“If he gets married.”Umar muttered under his breath, loud enough only for Haroon to hear.

Haroon rolled his eyes and ignored it. Zain just nodded as if he understood the simple answer. Haroon knew better. It would take years for the man to understand. There were very few simple people in this world. Zain was one among the minority that were completely simple. But the lad had a good heart. And he was a hafiz (one who has memorised the holy book). Just like Haroon.

“So the father-in-law is a little nuts,” Umar had a thoughtful look on his face, “It’s just today. After today she doesn’t have to see him again.”

“It’s not that simple,” Haroon said, running a hand through his hair, “She’s got a mother and sister. I’m sure she would want to visit them.”

Umar didn’t look happy.

“This is sad. Most people enjoy their weddings. You, on the other hand, need to come up with an idea to keep you bride safe.” 

Haroon grinned, though his eyes remained hard and serious.

“It seems trouble and problems love me.” There was no sarcasm or hate in his tone. He was just being brusque. 

Zain gave him a sympathetic pat on the shoulder. His innocent boy looks were still scrunched up in confusion, but Haroon could see he had pushed all that aside to comfort him. It was a sweet gesture that Haroon appreciated.

“I’m sorry, mate,” Zain said, “But your fortune just sucks.”

Way to rub it in, Haroon thought, aware that his friend wasn’t intending to hurt him or provoke him. Zain was just plain stupid, there was no nice way of putting it.