The Anatomy of Me

Spencer wasn't your ordinary teenage girl. She was an emotional wreck, suddenly crying in front of people without a reason. She always kept a little green journal with her. The green journal acted as her friend. Whenever Spencer felt “something” stirring up inside her, she wrote in her journal. The others didn't really understand her and she wouldn't bother explaining her situation; hence the reason why she only had a few friends.

In this short story, you will get a glimpse on how she lives out her every day life. How she wakes up, survives, and goes to bed to do the same cycle every single day.

                                                                         _______________

“What’re you doing here?”

Spencer spun around and saw her classmate Pierre beaming at her. It was lunch break and she was supposed to be eating with her friends at the cafeteria, but she decided to stay in the library and spend time with herself instead.

“I’m looking for something to read, can’t you see?” Spencer mumbled and turned back to the shelf she was examining. She was always uncomfortable hanging around with Pierre because she liked him. And besides, he was one of the popular guys. The number one rule in her school was for normal people to stay away from the popular ones unless they were called upon.

“Why aren’t you with your friends?” Pierre asked again. Spencer hated it when Pierre pried on her, not that she always kept to herself (in fact, she loved it when other people knew about her personal issues), but it was just really awkward for her to be talking to Pierre. Spencer finally saw an interesting book, grabbed it from the shelf, and then headed back to her seat.

Pierre followed her closely behind. He didn’t even know why he was here, let alone the fact why he went looking for Spencer. He wanted to be friends with her, but she won't let him.

“Either you’re being user-friendly again because of the upcoming test or you’re here to say something important. Choose between the two.” Spencer had enough already. She hated it when the popular people were being nice with her just because they needed something, and she was damn sure that Pierre was only being nice to her because of the upcoming English test.

Pierre sighed, and then said, “I really don’t need anything from you. I just wanted someone to talk to. You’re…you’re so complicated, Spencer.” And with that, Pierre went out of the library without even saying goodbye.

Spencer sat down and laid her head on the cold oak table. She wasn’t really good with handling people, but she was trying to become better. But her conversation with Pierre seconds ago proved that she wasn’t making any improvements at all.

                                                                          _______________

“Good afternoon everyone!” Mr. Hawthorne happily greeted the class. He was Spencer’s last period teacher. He taught English and he was one of the most well loved teachers in the school. He was considerate, caring, and had this “father figure” sense in him. Everyone adored him, including Spencer whom we cannot deny had a crush on him.

The students stood up and greeted Mr. Hawthorne back. It was basic school protocol. The students had to stop what they were doing, get up from their seats, and greet a teacher who has entered their classroom. They were also required to greet their teachers outside the classroom.

“All right, sit down. Let’s do a quick recap of yesterday’s lesson. Anyone want to volunteer?” Mr. Hawthorne asked. Pierre shot up his hand in the air and got called. He stood graciously, and began to speak in a soft, lilting voice. A common misconception is that popular kids are attractive but dumb. But no, in Spencer’s school, popular kids were attractive and smart too. Their faces were often seen in the Top Achievers’ List. Spencer’s face appeared there once, but Pierre stole her throne.