Chapter 28

Recession | Chapter 28

"Let's do it," Trent said with an exhaled breath.

"Yes!" Mark shouted.

"Calm down son. We need to focus here."

He looked to Quickstar.

"Have you ever done something like this?"

He responded with a nod that looked full of memories.

"I have. It's been a long time, but yes, I have. I can avoid their gunfire for quite a while in this ship, but there's no way I could get us away from them. Even if we tried heading back to the planet, they would destroy us before we could get back. If Mark takes out their engines, then we can fly out of the range of their weapons and wait for police to come."

Quickstar had turned down the transmission volume from the pirates. He turned it back up.

"This is your last warning Captain. Are you listening to me?" Trent looked to Quickstar who gave him a quick nod.

"Go ahead and tell him that we're going to give him the cargo Captain."

Trent pressed the green button again.

"I'm sorry, yes. We were deliberating among each other, and we have found that we do not want a confrontation with you."

"Very good. You have made a wise decision Captain. Now you just sit pretty while we approach to board your ship and take all that cargo off your hands."

"Okay."

Trent released the button as Quickstar jumped up.

"Ok, Mark, we don't have much time."

He sprinted to the back of the cockpit and pulled down a trap door. A ladder folded down as he pulled the door open.

"Woah, I didn't even know that was there!"

"Yeah, we never really have a use for this. I was hoping we never would. Go on, get up there as fast as you can. Before your father purchased the ship I checked it out and it's in good working order. If it's aimed in the right spot, it'll get the job done. This ship only has this one gun, but they spent their money on it in case of something like this. We are very lucky they did. Let's hope our luck holds."

No one said anything to that as they all thought they had about the worst luck in the galaxy.

"Alright Mark, the controls are simple. That main control adjusts your aim. The two red buttons on top are for your thumbs to fire. Then there's the big lever to your right. That's the power level. I want you to push that all the way forward. This needs to count, so full power is what we need."

"Oh, you got it, this is awesome!" Mark said.

Trent was beginning to think that Quickstar was dead on in choosing his son for this job. Not only was Mark the best shot, but an excited child might proved to have better results than if he were behind the gun with shaking arms. All his son could think about was how cool this all was, while Trent's mind was stuck on all that was at stake.

"This is awesome!" Mark screamed from the gun turret as he looked over the controls.

He was just excited, getting to live his dream. This would be just like the video game, except he would be saving his family in real life. Trent snapped out of it and yelled up to Mark.

"Make me proud son!"

"You got it Dad!"

Quickstar went back to the pilots seat and called up to Mark.