Der Österreicher

Der Österreicher..... Xenoclea

"It's going to cause a scandal," Maria was saying to Jameson in the parlor. "I mean having him on board. It's not good for the ship's reputation as a reliable transportation for people and cargo."

"Why?" If he likes the trip, he'll tell his friends and we'll get even more business."

"There's going to be a scandal because this is Egon Schiele. Scandals follow him like explosions follow you."

Jameson half-jokingly made a face at her before continuing, "Is it because he's such a controversial artist? Lots of artists draw nudes, if that's why you're upset."

"No, it's not that. The whole artist-against-the-world thing is actually rather attractive," Maria giggled, blushing a bit. "I actually like his personality. He's... he's my kind of mad. But people hear that Egon Schiele frequents this airship and they'll all start whispering. No one will want to come aboard. No one 'respectable,' anyway." She said this last part with a little sarcastic laugh. During her time on board, the once quiet and meek Maria revealed herself to be perhaps the most audacious individual aboard the ship.

Rather, she was the most audacious individual aboard most days, but her thoughts, however salacious they may be, could never top the bawdy liveliness of their current passenger.

Annemarie was giving him the grand tour of his quarters, on of the second level directly across from Adalè's rooms. She was pretending to immerse herself in the tour and show off her ship, but in reality she was studying him closely. Egon Schiele had dark hair and beckoning dark eyes that seemed to glow with some happy fire, as if he was laughing at some secret joke. He was also younger than she expected, early twenties perhaps, and he seemed to carry around a young sense of freedom. The flavors of his freedom were familiar to her, like the taste of air on the topside of the ship, fresh and daring. Like her, he fidgeted as he stood.

"The room is nice," he said, startling her out of her musings. His voice was thick with accent but still light and youthful. "The windows are inspiring. Who knows? Perhaps my next masterpiece shall be here."

"Thank you, Mister Schiele, but please, speak your native tongue," said Annemarie in a soft flow of German.

"Thank you, captain, but please call me Egon," he replied also in German. He smiled mischievously with narrowed eyes. "All my models do."

Models? Annemarie raised her heavy eyebrows; before she could inquire what he meant, Adalè wandered past the open door. Schiele smiled when he spotted her. "My dear, join us," he called cheerfully in English. "You must also serve as my muse. Such a charming face should be immortalized on paper or canvas, and I would be delighted to be the one to do it."

"Me? Oh, you flatterer," Adalè replied, fluttering her eyebrows jokingly. "If you insist."

"I do. I shall draw you both together. Such loveliness shouldn't be separated. Now..." Schiele squinted at the two women as if seeing how best to start. "No, this simply will not do. No offence, my lovely muses, but the dresses you have on really don't do your complexions justice." They looked down in mild shock at their daytime outfits. "Perhaps a lovely green for the brunette, to bring out her lovely emerald eyes," he smiled at Adalè. "And for you, captain, a black would set your hair to such an advantage, I may have to sketch nothing but your flowing locks."

"Of course, Mister Schiele- Egon," said Annemarie, pleased. "We'll go change right now."

"No need to leave, simply take off your dress. I think you have the correct colors underneath?" The two girls looked down, realizing he was right.