PROLOGUE (The Journey)

PROLOGUE

Directly from the notebook of Dirco Storyteller

Thousands and thousands of years ago there existed a mystical land called Janíza, consisting of three islands: Jalteben, Oridgon, and Darius. Ivérsid, a Nature elf from the far east, discovered the realm while attempting to find a crossing between the Western and Eastern lands. Once he consulted his king, Ivérsid brought a shipload of his people and claimed the island for the elves. Soon many races came to take their plot of the rich terrain. After the humans and dwarves began settling, the Nature elves organized a government and deemed their first leader, King Ivérsid.

The country prospered and grew, becoming increasingly populated. Soon, explorers discovered a nearby island they called Milerax. The king’s close friend, an adventurer named Juëdr, said of the land, “The very ground seethed pitch, and unearthly creatures inhabited the place—monsters, like nothing I’ve ever seen!” The people became afraid of this land and pleaded to King Ivérsid for protection from the growing evil. For many years the citizens begged, until finally they received their wish; the king consented to his subject’s demands and appointed two mighty Guardians: the fearsome warrior Declret and his wife, Arla, a powerful magic user. They vowed to protect Janíza with their lives.

Years passed and Milerax grew ever more frightening. The dark land expanded, using its strange magical abilities to invade the smallest island in Janíza, Darius. King Ivérsid sent many magicians and armies to protect his kingdom, but even Arla wrestled to repel the evil magic of Milerax.

The people began to doubt the Guardian’s power. They demanded more substantial protection, and, frustrated, the king appointed five bodyguards, the Sentinels, for the Guardians: Areul of Air, Zerjjnn of Darkness, Wyl of Fire, Theydr of Ice, and Ivérsid’s own daughter, Jzän of Magic.

Centuries passed, and King Ivérsid and Queen Clairêista were blessed with a miraculous second child, a prince. This astounded the elven people, because elves are created to produce only one baby. The only other time an elven couple bore two children ended sadly, since the infant and the mother both died. The king and queen were overjoyed by his safe arrival. As he grew, the prince’s parents showered him with attention and love. Jzän became jealous of her little brother’s fame—and hated him for his inheritance of the throne.

The prince’s fifty-seventh birthday marked the day when Jzän finally broke. King Ivérsid organized an honorary feast for him, and dignitaries of all races joined to celebrate. When Ivérsid held a toast to the prince’s eventual reign, Jzän stormed out. Outraged by her inheritance being taken, late that night the princess awoke and murdered her parents. She captured her brother and crowned herself queen. With her army from the depths of Milerax, she wounded Declret, snatched Arla’s magic away, and subdued the Sentinels, putting them into a deep sleep and scattering them across the land. 

So our story begins...