The Perfect Affair

"You wanted to see me, Boss?" Tatsumi after politely making his way into Najenda's room for a quick meeting. He knew it was urgent since usually she discusses anything with the rest of the group in the vast meeting room.

"Yes, I did. Thank you for coming. I wanted to know how you were doing with your... side-effects. Leone and Akame contacted me about some of the strange occupancies that happened due to your mutation with Incursio." She answers him.

"Oh! Uh... I'm doing fine, honest." Tatsumi replied as he nervously rubs the back of his neck. He did not want to cause Najenda any more stress than she is already feeling. All four of the remaining members of Night Raid had to deal with their recent loss of Lubbock, and he knew it was a painful time for Najenda. "Once I find a way to get a hold of it, I'll be able to contribute greatly to our final encounter with the Empire. So do not worry."

"I have to worry. It is my job as the leader." Najenda says as she hugs herself uncomfortably, sitting down on her bed with a depressing sigh. "I... I didn't worry enough about you and Lubbock when I sent you two away. I should have had more members go with you. You can't tell me not to worry after I had Lubbock go and get k-"

"Don't say that. Both of us willingly took the job and I did the best I could to keep us safe. It has nothing to do with you not worrying enough, won't that cause you even more stress?" Tatsumi interrupts her and promptly sits beside his boss. She really did look helpless and vulnerable. It was saddening to see her become this way because of a comrade's death. Lubbock obviously meant more to her than everyone else. Why did his best friend have to go so soon?

"It is pointless in trying to convince me the latter. Ultimately, I was the one who failed the group. I mustn't brood on it so much since we are so close to battle, but..." Najenda stops herself. She should not be opening herself up to Tatsumi of all people. It wasn't professional and she needs to be strong for her sulking members.
"I apologize for my behavior. If you say you are doing well, then so be it," Najenda did not really believe he was as fine as he claims he is, "But please do not hide anything from us. We want to help and making yourself worse out of pride won't help."

"This is not out of pride. It is out of concern for your own health. This stress isn't good for you and... I know you are hurting for Lubbock, so I don't want to add on to your list of things to worry about." Tatsumi says as he turns more toward her.

"You don't listen, do you? As usual..." Najenda says while shaking her head with a small smile. She lifts her left hand and rests it on top of his head, rustling his hair with her fingers. "I am a little surprised that you show this much concern. I know I shouldn't be since you obviously care about everyone else. I guess what I'm trying to say is..." It is hard talking about her feelings. Him and Lubbock are kind of the same. Loyal, dedicated, deeply caring, and always putting others before them. It made her feel good that she met some of the most wonderful people in the team. But now Lubbock is gone...
Her expression visibly saddens once more, her hand still on top of his head.

"Boss...?" Tatsumi asks. She must be thinking too much again. He did not want to see her look so sullen. It was nearly impossible since it is Lubbock of all people, but Tatsumi selfishly wanted her be her usual stoic self again.

"It is going to be okay. We are all going to win the war, and we'll make sure to make our friends' deaths honorable." He says, but Najenda removes her hand and shakes her head.

"I know that. I mean... I already have that idea in mind. But Lubbock promised he'd survive so he wouldn't have to leave me alone." Najenda mutters with a clenched fist, her lavender eye beginning to water. She was afraid of being alone. Funny, right? She was so used to it, she even thought she was still alone. So when she heard that Lubbock had perished with no traces of his body, the thought of being lonely in the future became a fearful one. It hurt her heart. It makes her eye burn.