Making of a Water Lily

Was it a dream or a horrendous nightmare. I couldn’t tell. There were to many colors so I couldn’t really tell what was going on. After a while the picture started to come into focus. There was a dark black pond. It was perfectly circular. Almost like it was made to go there and God had gotten all of the composes and protractors and perfect angles. But what caught my attention was the shining white water lilies. They were like beautiful little suns shining out of the cold dark water. I was so transfixed on the glorious little flowers. I saw a shadow move and I looked up and I noticed a familiar face in the distance. What got to me was the face looked like it was looking down at me almost like he was looking at me, and I was standing in a snow globe. The eyes were the same as mine. I don't know why that part stuck with me even after I woke up but it was just so weird that I guess I just remembered. At the end of my dream there was this old women, she had white hair that looked like wires mixed with silver glints. Her eyes were solid flat black there wasn’t even a glint of life that shone through her eyes. She was smiling a crooked kind of evil smile that made you think that your being x-rayed.  

I jerked up with a shriek. My mom came rushing in to my room her blonde hair flying behind her. My mom stopped in front of me she practically yelled at me when she asked me why I was shrieking like a ban-chi. She forced me to explain all about my dream. So I started from the beginning. I told her all about the glorious pond and about the seeing the boy who looked liked my twin. Half way through I started to have a bit of a panic attack. My mom left so that I could calm down she said that we could talk in the morning. After I stopped hyperventilating and was calm enough to lie back down, I was out. Not for long though. I was having a restless night. I kept waking up and falling back to sleep. Sleep finally won over and I drifted out of focus. Only to be dropped back in the same scene. 

This time the women almost holding my hand and telling me that I was going to die bye the end of the week. As I looked into her eyes she seemed so sincere in what she was saying. She honestly seemed to think I was going to die. I started to hyperventilate again. Then for some reason my mind completely blanked out and I went under the deep fog of the obis.

When I woke up for real the next morning, I was dazed and confused. It had been a very sleepless night, waking up every few hours screaming. My mom finally gave up coming to check on me carrying her metal baseball bat over her head. I was grateful when she left me alone.

I went to the bathroom to get ready for the day. My dark red curls were in a rats nest on top of my head from all the tossing, and turning. Puffy purple shadows were under my bright green eyes making them look depressed. I finally got myself together after two hours of primping and preening. It was murder trying to untangle all of my curls. When every curl was in place and I was ready for the day, I went down stairs, and pored myself a bowl of dry cereal.

The only thing I despise about summer vacation is that my mom never gets around to the grocery shopping, so that left only cereal and bread. But I’m not picky because i know my mom tries to do her best. Even working two jobs she still makes it home early enough to see me before I go to my job. I work at a fast food chain restaurant, it is so not the job I had intended to have, but it makes enough extra money for the rent.

When I opened the door the quick burst of air jostled a strand of my red hair into my face. I decided to do the grocery shopping so that my mom would get a break from all the shopping and cooking. As I was walking I saw a familiar face staring at me from across the street. I was stunned because I knew the face. It wasn’t that I had met the strange old women before, because I haven’t. The face was that of the old women from my dream. I had to suppress the sudden urge to scream and run. I closed my eyes and took three deep breaths to calm my self down. When I opened up my eyes again the women was gone. I looked around and I started to think I was going crazy because the women had just disappeared into thin air.