Fallen From Above

"Jael," God said as she bowed before him," will you help me today and speak to the people of earth?"

Jael stuttered," B-But... I have no experience with these things. I may not be the right angel to ask."

Giving her a kind look that was mixed with a tinge of sorrow God spoke," I believe that you will find your own way to get through this. Just have a little faith in your actions."

~~

Jael let the tears slip freely down her already tear stained cheeks," I am a fool among fools."

This was her last good memory of heaven before it went downhill. She had done her job well, but in the process had fallen for the world. And in her haste she betrayed God's trust by flying down to earth. God had cried, she could feel it.

Her wings were gone. Ripped out by archangels who were permitted to do so.

Jael sat down by a grange can and drew her knees to her," please... God forgive me for breaking you laws and your trust. I have done wrong..." Again tears and sobs overwhelmed her.

"Hey. A-Are you okay? Miss?" A kind voice spoke to her through her sobs.

She wiped her tears and looked up at the man who had spoken to her. Her eyes grew wide as she stuttered," I um... I'm f-fine... um," she unconsciously ran her fingers through her golden hair but got it caught in tangles.

The man smiled at her," I'm glad you're okay. How would you like to come inside for something warm to drink? I think it may rain today."

She nodded and stood up slowly, for her back was bleeding profusely from the freshly torn wings.

He walked in front of her and said," I live this way. So if you'll follow me."

She bit her lip when the thought occurred to her that he might not be a good man. Normally she would be able to tell, but without her angel senses she didn't have a clue.

Deciding to trust him she followed him to his house. Once inside he asked her," would you like hot chocolate or coffee?"

She hadn't hear of those things before so she said," which ever one is more easy for you to make would be fine."

He laughed and went to ( what she supposed ) was the kitchen.

She wandered a little,looking at pictures of his family, friends, and pets. She touched a frame with a picture of him and his dog. They looked like best friends.

"His name was Dudley," the man said behind her in a soft voice.

She jumped when she heard his voice. But turned to face him.

"He was a great dog. He died last year when someone wasn't watching the road they were driving down," his face turned dark as he continued," they didn't even apologize. They just laughed it off and moved on."

She gently laid a hair on his shoulder," I'm sure that deep down they were severely sorry. Even more so than you may know."

He looked at her and smiled," well aren't you something. Normally someone would say 'I'm sorry' and leave it at that."

Jael flung her hand back off of his shoulder and hit the picture on accident. She winced and said," sorry. I'm so sorry."

He smiled," don't worry. It's just a picture frame. I can replace that."

She started to cry," but I am not one when lives here. I can not pay you back."

The man wiped away one of her tears," No. Don't worry about this. Please. You'll be okay. I swear I'm not angry."

"But there must be some way that I can pay you back," she said with pleading eyes.

He sighed," fine. You go get changed in the guest room and I'll bring you hot chocolate and we'll discuss this issue."

She heaved a sigh of relief as he gave her instructions to the guest room," thank you very much!" she said as she sprinted towards the guest room.

~~~

"I don't understand why you feel so terrible about this," the man said as he set her mug down on the night stand.

She was sitting on the bed with her legs beneath her," I feel awful for breaking that picture. It was a lovely memory and I shattered it with one hit."

He winced at the thought, then said," no! No. it was nothing like that to me. I mean it didn't seem like you did that on purpose," he sighed, then looked at the ceiling," how would you like to pay me back? I won't except any money or large services. If this is what makes you feel better about it then you choose the payment you are able and willing to do."

Jael looked down at herself, and then replied," You could take my body as payment."

A deep blush spread over his face," W-What do you mean by that?"

She placed her hand over his and said," It will mean what you want it to mean... master."