Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Juliana settled down on the edge of her bed and laced up her soft leather ankle boots tightly, before pulling on her jacket and pinning her simple hat on securely. Frank was waiting at the bottom of the stairs his jacket on and his top hat in hand, as she climbed down the stairs to meet him. She felt unsure of why she was letting him take her on this extravagant shopping trip, but looking down at Frank’s expectant face his eyes surprisingly bright and glowing she couldn’t refuse him.

He was not as gloomy as he was earlier at the visit of the undertaker; rather he seemed to be looking forward greatly to the trip. Frank held out an arm and she accepted, letting him led her to the carriage and hand her up inside. They sat in the dim carriage in silence, until she broke the silence to ask where they were going. He grinned and shook his head in reply.

“It wouldn’t be a surprise if I told, but I can guarantee none of your local shops are like this one, in fact none of the other shops in London are like it. However, here is a clue; these shops are abundant in Paris, very classy, very expensive but don’t let that put you off they’re worth every penny. Here we are.”

The carriage pulled to a juddering halt outside a large premise painted an outrageous purple and no name. A footman open the door and Frank leapt out helping Juliana down after him and holding open the shop door for her. Intrigued Juliana went into the shop wide eyed, drinking in the fabulous dresses on wire tailors dummies and padded hangers. A red velvet curtain swished open and a tiny woman with a big voice greeted Frank with open arms.

“Mousier Carlyle, how lovely to see you again. Who is this ravishing young lady? She is certainly not your young wife. What do we need from Madame Laqué?”

“I’m sad to tell you Rebecca has died,” Frank replied his eyes clouding over. “This is my charge Miss Juliana Lucas,” he almost spat the word out like he hated it making Juliana jump; “agreeably she said she would accompany me to a parliamentary ball, unfortunately she has nothing to wear. Would you and your ladies be kind enough to show us some of your ball gowns also a range of day, evening and outdoor wear and every thing that goes with it?”

His expression lightened at the appalled look on Juliana’s face at his extravagant shopping technique. He was basically suggesting a whole new wardrobe for her, which she thought she simply didn’t need.

“Take a seat and I’ll start sending the girls out for you.”

Juliana didn’t really understand what Madame Laqué was talking about but it seemed like they would have an interesting afternoon. The red velvet curtain was pulled aside by a pale hand and a beautiful young girl came out dressed in a bright blue dress decorated in jet beads and black lace, she walked towards them slowly before turning in front of them her skirts swishing.

Frank nodded his approval before Juliana could even speak a word of agreement and the model stood to one side of them. The next came out dressed in a simple cream lace and primrose yellow silk, which Juliana rather liked but before she could speak up Frank dismissed.

“To pale for her,” he told Madame Laqué as if she wasn’t there and the model disappeared again. They continued in this manner until a large number of dresses had been chosen for Juliana without a word of opinion from her. Yet another girl appeared from behind the curtain, this time dressed in layers of green shot silk, the underskirt a soft leaf green and draped elegantly with a luxurious forest green and beaded subtly with tiny glass beads.

Frank didn’t say anything and Juliana stared at him surprised he didn’t have an opinion. He stared at the model, her face morphing into Juliana’s with her auburn curls framing her face softly and the curves of her body hugged by the perfect dress. For once he was rendered speechless and all the blood from his head rushed to his crotch and it wasn’t even Juliana stood there.