Reunited

|Lara|

            The young girl stares up at me and calls out my name. Her hair is lying over her eyes and nose. I can barely make out her features, but I know…I know by the sound of her voice.

            “Lara?” she says softly again, with a whimper.

            Her hand rises to her face and brushes her matted hair away. A single tear releases from her eye and glides gracefully down her cheek and onto the floor. I fall to my knees and continue to cover my mouth.

            “Amanda…” I am not asking, I know. My body starts trembling and I fall forward onto my palms; breathing hard and barely catching my breath. Anxiety is erupting again and I cannot breathe. Footsteps run towards me and small hands pull me into a hug. Her boney figure smashes against mine and I that is when I begin to cry.

            “Is it you? It’s really you?” I keep repeating myself, sobbing lightly into her shoulder blade. I look up into her soft blue eyes, just like mine, and smile weakly. My top lip quivers. Raising my hand, I touch her freckled cheek and tuck her long stranded hair behind her ear. “I thought…you were Turned, or dead. I had no clue. I just knew one minute you were home and then—”

            She stops my rambling by placing her fingertip onto my mouth. By now, she has turned thirteen and she seems so much older, already.

            “Lara, I am not mad at you. It was my fault. I went wandering off to the neighbor’s house hoping to find useful items.” Amanda says and then sits down on her knees. “Then while you slept, the house was bombarded with military. They grabbed me and I kept screaming that they were leaving my sister behind. I kicked and put up a fight. That’s when everything went black.” She shook her head.

            I chuckle through my tears, “Something dumb I would do.”

            “Not dumb, but idiotic.” She starts laughing and somehow the rest of us do too. I watch as she looked between Wyatt and John. Pointing up at them she shows questioning eyes, “Who are these men, Lara?” Her body pulls closer into mine; nervous and scared.

            I sighed, “Oh that is Wyatt and John. I met them during my journey to find the military base. They are completely safe.” Her body pulls away from me and she stands; walking towards them.

            “Hi, I’m Amanda, the younger sister.” Her hand extends out to them and John grabs it quickly.

            “Nice to meet you…” He shakes it and his eyes settle on me. I hadn’t told him about my family, like he had. Wyatt steps up and grabs her hand gently.

            “Just as strikin’ as your older sis,” Wyatt says. Their hands sway up and down in the air. I wanted to jump up and smack him hard, but I couldn’t resist smiling at his charm.

            Amanda’s pale face reddens and she backs away. I stand to my feet and walk over to the group; eyeing each one of them. “I hate to stop my lovely reunion…” Amanda smiles at me and grabs a hold of my hand. “However, we are in a bit of a mess. When Zhala returns, we will begin asking questions and we will beat them out of her if we have too!”

            “Whoa darlin’, ain’t that a little harsh?” His brows furrow a bit.

            “Wyatt, I am not suggesting we beat the woman to death. However, I may just repay her for slamming me against the wall. Oh, and thanks for the help, by the way.” I glare at him. Wyatt holds his hands up and backs away in defeat.